Best treatment for sting swelling?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
My wife was unfortunate enough to get stung on her upper lip yesterday. Unsurprisingly, it swelled up at the site of the sting, on the right side. However, this morning her entire upper lip looks huge - think Pete Burns. She isn't terribly interested in venturing outside, for obvious reasons, but has a dental appointment tomorrow and doesn't want to look like that!

So, any suggestions for a good solution that works and works fast?

Ice always works for me when i get stung on the face, if that fails a small spoonful of cement to harden up!! ;o)

Tell the dentist to use one of those rods they use to hold up car bonnets Lol,
Sorry ;-) i think it will just take time to go down, i'm sure dentists see far worse things inside mouths.

Anti histamines but she might have to accept the swelling may still be there tomorrow. I react reasonably poorly to stings and find it takes about 36 hours to die down but a lot depends how she responds herself and how much venom she took in.

Hope she feels better soon

http://tinyurl.com/o6fuqee

Asda 1% hydrocortisone cream.. Works fast, reduces swelling, can be carried in a pocket.. easily absorbed. I always carry it with me.

(also good for acne, eczema etc:)

I would ask a doctor what is best. I do not swell much after stings but my intuition would be to put on some heamorroid cream with which hazel on it. It is supposed to constrict the veins locally and take away swelling... But again, ask a doctor for better advice...

My wife was unfortunate enough to get stung on her upper lip yesterday. Unsurprisingly, it swelled up at the site of the sting, on the right side. However, this morning her entire upper lip looks huge - think Pete Burns. She isn't terribly interested in venturing outside, for obvious reasons, but has a dental appointment tomorrow and doesn't want to look like that!

So, any suggestions for a good solution that works and works fast?

done to the quacks I'm afraid for a course of steroids!

i find that honey works better than hydrocortisone for treatment of insect bites of all kinds. not sure if honey could be used as a salve for stings though

I had the exact same thing on my lip. Think Pete burns complete with oozing yellow fluid. I did take a trip to A&E 12 hours later and they gave me IV antihistamine which stopped the swelling getting worse. In future I wouldn't bother, just stay home and take a few extra Piriton tablets. Best advice..... A scarf.

Ice always works for me when i get stung on the face, if that fails a small spoonful of cement to harden up!! ;o)

I find a hot compress (as hot as you can bear) works best. I read somewhere that the proteins in the venom are broken down by high temperatures. Fortunately I don't suffer much swelling but it stops the itchiness developing. :hurray:

For future incidents try Apis Mel taken immediately and hourly afterwards.
I used to swear by it when I first kept bees.

Don't bee alarmed but suggest you keep an eye on your wife's reaction to stings.
Maybe ask your doc to check her out?

Bee stings never used to bother me but recently my reaction has worsened.
Took two to my face yesterday at the associatio apairy, one on forehead and one just under nose and ended up spending 6 hours in A & E. Managed to get every reaction except unconciousness.
Oddly most of the lip swelling has gone but now my eyes are beginning to close but everything else is okay and I feel fine?
I now have to carry two epipens and what goes with that. Only had one in A & E as they had a run on them, so waiting till 4.30 today to pick up prescription from docs.
Bigs thanks to medical staff at Nevill Hall Hospital Abergavenny and Dave who decided I needed to go to A & E.

OK, she's trying an anti-histamine tablet and anthisan, on the recommendation of our local apothecary.

Russel - seems like you react much more that she (or I ) do - it's just a normal localised reaction, but too visible for comfort. As for an epipen, without a doctor's prescription, the risks associated with injection of epinephrine are greater than those from a sting!

OK, she's trying an anti-histamine tablet and anthisan, on the recommendation of our local apothecary.

Russel - seems like you react much more that she (or I ) do - it's just a normal localised reaction, but too visible for comfort. As for an epipen, without a doctor's prescription, the risks associated with injection of epinephrine are greater than those from a sting!

Sorry, I was not suggesting she get an epipen, just that you monitor her and if reacts more to the next sting , ask her doctor to check what in the sting affects her. Air on the cautious side.

I feel her pain, tis me this morning, stung a few times yesterday

Attachments

• IMAG0506.jpg
    IMAG0506.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 57
Sorry, I was not suggesting she get an epipen, just that you monitor her and if reacts more to the next sting , ask her doctor to check what in the sting affects her. Air on the cautious side.

To err is human, to forgive is divine.........

I didn't think you were - I'm just afraid of things like that because of their potential impact: I'd prefer a sore hand over a heart attack any day!

You can buy a little device that applies heat to the bite or sting. It heats up to 52C for a few seconds. Supposed to work but I don't know anyone that has used one.

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bite-Away-Insect-Healer/dp/B003CMKQTS"]Bite Away Insect Bite Healer: Amazon.co.uk: Health & Personal Care[/ame]

Latest posts

Back