Beehut on agricultural land - planning consent?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love all the replies and suggestions. Is there any official documentation on what is allowed and what isn’t? I can’t find any (which is ridiculous in itself - how can you comply which something that doesn’t appear to exist?).

If the rules were clearly and fully documented the planning officers wouldn't be able to make stuff up on the spur of the moment and all hell would break loose when two in the same office said completely different things (yes, this has happened to me, and not for a minor detail either).

James

These work really well as a shed base - you can buy them in any number you like and once filled with Hoggin or Pea shingle they are very solid, don't easily allow vermin to get under the shed and in no way could be considered permanent:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/17349504...Yr3LsvDuUk72Oxgy/mttUq/8zv|tkp:Bk9SR5a7wIaNYw
I'd just be inclined to put the shed up and wait and see if anyone complains to the council ... then, if the council objects, ignore them until they serve a removal order on you (which they rarely do as it means they have to jump through hoops and for a temporary shed it's not worth their effort). Make it so that it blends in with the surroundings .. green stain in a field etc. and make sure it's not an eyesore. What's the worst that's going to happen ? .. Most sheds are demountable and if it's still in place in 12 years there's nowt they can do about it.

It's quite simple, if the agricultural land is large enough area.
You don't have to 'apply' as such. Rather inform planning of your intentions.
Planners then have 28 days to refuse. That's it. Day 29 you can start building.
Can't recall exactly, but land has to be over 12 acres.
And it can't be within (I think 100 metres) from a highway.
Call it storage barn for livestock equipment...sorted.

https://www.gov.uk/planning-permissions-for-farms

Any concrete base ewill be deemed a foundation and as such a permanent structure so planning will be required.

I got this from an ‘advice site’

4. Livestock shelters are common to not have a planning permission​

Livestock shelters are commonly built without obtaining planning approval because they are considered outbuildings, which are frequently exempt from them. A conventional definition of an outbuilding is a structure that is an accessory to a main building and is constructed on private property. This category includes livestock shelters since they are frequently situated inside the limits of the property where livestock is maintained.
In addition, livestock shelters are generally exempt from most building regulations, which means that they can be built without obtaining planning permission from the local authority. This is because livestock shelters are typically classified as agricultural structures, which are exempt from building codes.

It is important to note, however, that there are some circumstances in which planning permission for a livestock shelter may be required. For example, if the shelter is to be located in an area designated as a conservation area, then planning permission will usually be required.

Similarly, if the shelter is to be built on land that is owned or managed by another person or organization, then planning permission may also be required. Therefore, it is important to check with the local authority before proceeding.

1. Agricultural storage units can be built without obtaining planning permission​

In some cases, agricultural storage facilities can be built without obtaining planning approval. In general, agricultural structures and buildings can be constructed without obtaining planning approval as long as they are temporary and only utilized for agricultural purposes.

This could include barns, sheds, and other storage units used to store agricultural equipment, feed, and other materials. In some cases, even if a structure does not require planning permission, specific building regulations must be followed.

I got this from an ‘advice site’

I think that's a bit misleading. It can be that "planning permission" isn't necessary but the agreement of a planning officer is still required and in the process they may impose conditions on the work as they see fit. It's just a less formal process than an actual planning application (and hopefully cheaper).

James

Like a good few similar questions, why not simply ask your council planning department (which may have differing views to a neighbouring one) before spending any money?

Like a good few similar questions, why not simply ask your council planning department (which may have differing views to a neighbouring one) before spending any money?
always a better move than depending on facebook experts

Agree totally. Unfortunately, trying to have this conversation is proving very difficult with Guildford BC. Seems impossible to have a simple conversation to ask that question to someone who is qualified to give an answer. Tried this a few times before posting the question. They refer me to the planning portal

Agree totally. Unfortunately, trying to have this conversation is proving very difficult with Guildford BC. Seems impossible to have a simple conversation to ask that question to someone who is qualified to give an answer. Tried this a few times before posting the question. They refer me to the planning portal

My experience is that planning officers are very unwilling to give an opinion unless you go through the full formal process. I suspect that's partly because they don't want any informal discussion to come back to haunt them at a later time, but perhaps also now because the financial difficulties currently being suffered by many councils are causing them to view the planning office as an opportunity to generate income. It seems there's a fairly strong chance that Somerset council will be forced to issue a Section 114(?) notice in the next few months. As well as paring services to a minimum and selling off assets to reduce the budget shortfall, one of the few ways they've proposed to bring in more cash is to bump up the costs for planning applications.

James

My local experience with planning is the same.. no such thing as a definitive informal conversation...the best you gey is a maybe and referral to the planning process. They won't even tell you what you can't do...the result is more and more inappropriate extensions to houses being built which by the time they are up it's too late to do anything...and they never seem to be pulled down so I suspect retrospective approval is granted. The process is chaotic...

Ah, GBC, that might explain a lot. 🙂 Hasn’t their planning dept. Just amalgamated with Waverley’s?
Surrey planners are not the easiest to deal with I believe but as I understand it most planning departments don’t give advice just react to proposals.

Ah, GBC, that might explain a lot. 🙂 Hasn’t their planning dept. Just amalgamated with Waverley’s?
Surrey planners are not the easiest to deal with I believe but as I understand it most planning departments don’t give advice just react to proposals.
Most councils will provide pre-planning advice - if you pay for it.

The days when you could wander in and have an informal chat with a planner about what you propose are long gone. Years ago I wanted to build a garage next to our house - I drew up plans, wandered into the local planning office, sat down with a planner who told me what else they needed and what would gain favour with their planning decisions ... brilliant .. I went away knowing exactly what I needed to do. So helpful

Now: https://www.local.gov.uk/sites/default/files/documents/calculating-cost-pre-appl-14c.pdf..

Back