Asian Hornets

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the United Kingdom there are 12 million pet dogs and the same number of cats. That means that just over a third of Britons have a pet. I don't see that a politician is willing to lose a third of his voters.
I also remind you that mistreatment of a dog is punishable by a fine and up to one year in prison.

I have been bitten by an out of control German Sheppard, a Rottweiler, and several smaller dogs during my life: mainly when I was running/walking in the country. My view of dogs is that owners whose dogs attack people should be treated as if they personally committed the attack and are judged accordingly.
I agree with that assessment. In fact, in Spain, starting this month, all pet owners must necessarily have civil liability insurance that covers damages caused by their beloved pet.

In the United Kingdom there are 12 million pet dogs and the same number of cats. That means that just over a third of Britons have a pet. I don't see that a politician is willing to lose a third of his voters.
I also remind you that mistreatment of a dog is punishable by a fine and up to one year in prison.
there have been many instances of certain dog breeds being banned in the UK with many then been impounded and destroyed, in fact, at the moment they are investigating banning the American XL Bully.
It would be nice if we could have a break from posting absolute rubbish

And here's the electric harp - whilst we may not need it here yet it seems to be a well put together system and not that expensive (Well - until we need it in the UK by which time it will be sold at eye-watering prices by our bee supply houses !).

https://www.timberbee.com/produto/painel50/?lang=en

Yes no doubt thta will be the case.
Looking at the Andrew Durham PDF for his diy harpe version , roughly pricing up for diy with 50w panels and a better mppt charge controller for our typical weather conditons then one can construct a pair of harps and panels/electrics for a tad under £200 then one needs the battery source so another extra.

None of this extra to protect against V.v is going to come cheap but it is either put up defences of some kind or have no bees if they become prevalent esp in the South/East/West counties.

One expects that if a supplier was to supply a solar harpe kit will be imv over £300. With the solar though the important bit I think will be the charge controller to get as much from the sun (when it shines as possible), mppt's will if aligned with the better mono chrystalline panels be more efficient then the pwm charge controllers and basic panels.

Last edited:
Threw me a bit just logged on, how it it jump from Asian hornets to dogs and cats?🤔

It went via Fipronil- Spot On - Kevin Bacon - dogs and cats
And thence via the looking glass and down the rabbit hole where we found the mad hatters tea party ...

Hopefully now we can return to the reality of Asian Hornet incursions and the potential plans for beekeepers to deal with it when it, inevitably, becomes a real problem for many more of us.

I think, so far, the people with the remit to deal with the ones found so far have done a creditable job in what are difficult circumstances. I'm a bit disappointed that our National Association is a bit behind the curve .. more so when one of the cornerstones is 'to Educate both beekeepers and the public'.

And thence via the looking glass and down the rabbit hole where we found the mad hatters tea party ...

Hopefully now we can return to the reality of Asian Hornet incursions and the potential plans for beekeepers to deal with it when it, inevitably, becomes a real problem for many more of us.

I think, so far, the people with the remit to deal with the ones found so far have done a creditable job in what are difficult circumstances. I'm a bit disappointed that our National Association is a bit behind the curve .. more so when one of the cornerstones is 'to Educate both beekeepers and the public'.
Given that the BBKA will do nothing (other than wringing hands, or possibly trying to get some cash), should some of the more knowlegable members here try to engage with the NBU directly to try and establish a sensible (and hopefully legal) course of action and advise to beekeepers. I suspect we, as a forum, have at least as wide a reach and influence - we are just not a formal organisation.

Given that the BBKA will do nothing (other than wringing hands, or possibly trying to get some cash), should some of the more knowlegable members here try to engage with the NBU directly to try and establish a sensible (and hopefully legal) course of action and advise to beekeepers. I suspect we, as a forum, have at least as wide a reach and influence - we are just not a formal organisation.
Set up a crowd funded charity for the benefit of UK honeybees with a remit including research and development. Such a body could respond to challenges such as velutina and varroa. Possibly even market subsidized products.

Set up a crowd funded charity for the benefit of UK honeybees with a remit including research and development. Such a body could respond to challenges such as velutina and varroa. Possibly even market subsidized products.
Now that’s a charity I’d donate to 🙂

So the NBU and the BBKA are? And why don't the members press for it to be...?

It would not only be fipronil but any other formulation to eliminate/euthanasia vespa velutina. If the NBU considered that the procedure was covered by the legislation in any of its prescriptions, why use it?
Regarding varroa and the "The Cascade" system, it is crystal clear that the person who would administer the product would be the veterinarian or someone authorized by him (the beekeeper) but under the responsibility of the veterinarian, so the procedure would be completely legal.
And the cost would be extremely high and beekeepers are well known for being carefull with money.

What was the upshot? Success or prosecution?
So long ago and of course, the customer would be none the wiser and the authorities would never know.

And why did that Essex pest controller stop using the method?
I imagine that the only thing that stopped him was retirement, and by now he may have gone to the great hive in the sky.

Educate both beekeepers and the public'.
the BBKA will do nothing
To their credit the BBKA have spent £15k for posters on the back of buses in Kent, Devon, Southampton & the New Forest to promote ID & reporting of AH. Campaign starts on 25 September; request to DEFRA to help with funding was declined (no surprises there); locations determined by availability of short-notice advertising space.

1695418746536.png

To their credit the BBKA have spent £15k for posters on the back of buses in Kent, Devon, Southampton & the New Forest to promote ID & reporting of AH. Campaign starts on 25 September; request to DEFRA to help with funding was declined (no surprises there); locations determined by availability of short-notice advertising

As a boy in the 1950s I recall posters in libraries and on public buildings about Colorado Beetles. We managed to get that threat under control but it reappeared from time to time.
https://www.potatobusiness.com/agro...eared-in-the-uk-after-more-than-four-decades/

As a boy in the 1950s I recall posters in libraries and on public buildings about Colorado Beetles.
Has your local library got posters up about Asian Hornet?
Everyone should check the noticeboards of their local library, supermarkets, community centres. If there isn't a poster there already, give them one to put up.

As a boy in the 1950s I recall posters in libraries and on public buildings about Colorado Beetles.
the posters were still being put up in ports/airports at the fag end of the 1900s, I remember seizing potatoes from people travelling on the Irish ferries in Swansea, Fishguard and Pembroke Dock

Latest posts

Back