Asian Hornet

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very comforting to know, thanks Chris.

How widely did the NBU send out their email?
Who is the furthest North to have got it?

Hopefully it is a worker Asian hornet that got a lift in a lorry via Dover, the NBU has sent them to south of M25 corridor with emails, but appears not to have done Hertfordshire to the north of the M25, So it is only Alan byham area that appears to be notified, it may be his own hit list as some of my newer members have not got it

I also got a NNIS via rothamsted

Last edited:
One of our friends turned up on a clearer board , had a drop of honey on it from a super which i had perched on top . But there seems to be a bit of hope , while i was taking the pic it was attacked by a lone honey bee and before any body says anything it was also witnessed by someone else so i did not imagine it . The pic of the bee attack is blurred ( new camera with auto focus) but one of the other pics has come out .

Last edited:
One of our friends turned up on a clearer board , had a drop of honey on it from a supper which i had perched on top . But there seems to be a bit of hope , while i was taking the pic it was attacked by a lone honey bee and before any body says anything it was also witnessed by someone else so i did not imagine it . The pic of the bee attack is blurred ( new camera with auto focus) but one of the other pics has come out .

Hope that is in charente not Sussex

Hope that is in charente not Sussex

Oh Yes Charente . Should have said at the moment . Lets hope the Kent sighting is a one off and and hopefully a mis -ident but it does make everybody more vigilant and i hope the authorities have some sort of plan before they arrive . If it was me I would be shouting from the roof at the moment , If they had been more proactive , then prehaps Ash die back would not have arrived or stopped once it was first discovered too many times the authorities act to slowly .

Oh Yes Charente . Should have said at the moment . Lets hope the Kent sighting is a one off and and hopefully a mis -ident but it does make everybody more vigilant and i hope the authorities have some sort of plan before they arrive . If it was me I would be shouting from the roof at the moment , If they had been more proactive , then prehaps Ash die back would not have arrived or stopped once it was first discovered too many times the authorities act to slowly .

Except in transit lounges.....

Chris

hhmmmm , the thought of Alan B in his Hat running around Kent looking for a hornet nest, does not giving me much confidennce of an actual plan

close to Maidstone, Kent; last week a local Bee Inspector was dispatched to carry out further field investigation.

hhmmmm , the thought of Alan B in his Hat running around Kent looking for a hornet nest, does not giving me much confidennce of an actual plan

close to Maidstone, Kent; last week a local Bee Inspector was dispatched to carry out further field investigation.

Mike C's patch. "Local" - yes, he lives in Headcorn.

I may be wrong and perhaps down to the glass of wine but I get the impression that the Asian Hornet is not a great problem to our neighbours across the channel and the European Hornet is a bit of an inconvenience.

I have been privileged to see a European hornet only a few occasions in the southeast they are rare in my neck of the woods. I have never seen a thread about European Hornet killed my hive on this forum. (perhaps one exists)

I may be wrong and our climate may be perfect for the Asian Hornet and I hope not, but when they arrive if not already the panic and hysteria will hit new heights.

I may be wrong and perhaps down to the glass of wine but I get the impression that the Asian Hornet is not a great problem to our neighbours across the channel and the European Hornet is a bit of an inconvenience.

I have been privileged to see a European hornet only a few occasions in the southeast they are rare in my neck of the woods. I have never seen a thread about European Hornet killed my hive on this forum. (perhaps one exists)

I may be wrong and our climate may be perfect for the Asian Hornet and I hope not, but when they arrive if not already the panic and hysteria will hit new heights.

I don't think the UK climate will suit the Asian Hornet, it hardly suits the European Hornet that well in most parts of the UK unlike here where it would be unusual for me not to have a nest or three on the property.

I certainly am not bothered by European Hornets and nor are my bees beyond loosing the odd one here and there, trivial. My experience of the Asian Hornet is much the same although it may be different for two or three hive owners, (had to get that in). I suppose potentially the real worry would be if we had a cracking season weather wise from early spring right through giving them the chance to rapidly expand their colony size.

I think it's more what the eye doesn't see the brain doesn't panic over.

Chris

An Asian hornet was on the raspberry flowers yesterday when I was picking raspberries - alongside various bees including honeybees. More interested in the nectar than the bees it seems.

An Asian hornet was on the raspberry flowers yesterday when I was picking raspberries - alongside various bees including honeybees. More interested in the nectar than the bees it seems.

Two completely different types of behaviour.

They will happily forage together even on honey.

When they are feeding for their own energy requirements they are not interested in hunting bees for feeding larvae. It's the same for other wasp species.

Chris

Taken from Pleinchamp;

Beekeepers seem to have found a solution to fight against the Asian hornet: Sulfur Dioxide. Technical deemed "effective" by the National Safety Agency (handles), but not yet approved.

Sulfur dioxide has been used for years by beekeepers, was never formally authorized the destruction of Asian hornets, which are predators of bees. The technique used for years by beekeepers is to place a small bottle of sulfur dioxide at the end of a pole and injecting the gas into the nest of hornets.

It has not yet been presented as in a circular sent in May to beekeepers. Three environmentalists elected Southwest sought the handles, before the subject by the Ministry of Ecology for its position. In a publicly elected by the written response, the Director General of the handles says the agency gave "relevant ministries" a notice dated July 23, on the use of sulfur dioxide (SO2).

This review says the head of the handles, concluded that sulfur dioxide is "an effective technique to fight against the Asian hornet." "The impact on the environment and in particular non-target organisms are very limited compared to other techniques of chemical control," it is said.

This response of the handles is a "victory," responded the three elected in a statement. "This is an emergency, the Department of Ecology must now take note of this notice and allow the sulfur dioxide before the Hornet Asian further spread " , they added.

Introduced in the Southwest in 2004 in pottery from China, the Asian hornet is now present in sixty departments

Was used by the old skeppists to knock the colony off before harvesting honey .
Different technique but effective non the less !
VM

I don't think the UK climate will suit the Asian Hornet, it hardly suits the European Hornet that well in most parts of the UK unlike here where it would be unusual for me not to have a nest or three on the property.

Chris

The Netherland's research agrees, uk is on edge of the area of Vespa velutina unless we see a rise in temp due to climate change, so reduce your C02 footprint and stop using your smokers

http://www.nev.nl/pages/publicaties/proceedings/nummers/22/39-46.pdf

Pest Control ,the new French way

This one sounds like somebody using Government money on a pet project . The name of the drone says it all .

"Meanwhile, in the Landes, a prototype drone is being used to spot the nests of Asian hornets.

The devices can be piloted next to a nest and then a probe is used to inject a toxic powder inside which kills the wasps.

The advantage of the drone is that it is immune to attacks, and can fly higher than 30m, the maximum height of the ladders currently used by pest control agents.

Called the Joker, it is a modified version of a Wadudu drone, developed in Aquitaine. - See more at: http://www.connexionfrance.com/Dron...-15151-view-article.html#sthash.axD1Chny.dpuf

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJhwoViwAvI&sns=em"]Test Destruction de Nid de Frelon avec un Aéronef. Wadudu v.2 équipé Joker - YouTube[/ame]

Bit of pilot training perhaps?
LOL
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Surely a plastic round loaded with the powder would be more accurate, less bother and certainly less expensive?
VM

Surely a plastic round loaded with the powder would be more accurate, less bother and certainly less expensive?
VM

The problem with shooting the nest is it only disperses the Queens given most nests are only visible in Autumn....

....however I have had two reports in the last couple of weeks of Asian Hornets nesting in cavities, one a hollow tree, the other a stone wall which will make destruction easier should this be a trend....

.....once again you heard it here first!

Chris

Just out of interest, what are the stings like on these and are they very aggressive to humans?

M

Back