Are there more bees than usual?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I put supers on most of my hives over the past 10 days for ivy, with the last one yesterday. All have been absolutely packed with bees, but yesterday's was just nuts. There was an eke from when I had been treating with Apiguard, and the eke itself had some comb (unsurprisingly) but otherwise there were thousands of bees in the gap - the crown board had probably had them an inch deep. I haven't seen such strong hives going into the winter before, although I've only been keeping them for 5 years or so. I'm particularly concerned about how much feed they'll need - the ivy is flowing strong but I wonder if that's going to be enough (on top of the sugar syrup).

Two of my hives are bursting also. I put a super of goundation under the bb just to give them room. Feeding wise im giving it till they font take anymore. I wont be looking in sgsin now but know if theyre dedperate theres dpace there.

Plz excuse sp. Mobiles thumbs and bad sight...

I have added supers to half my colonies too ,bursting with bees and the ivy flow is crazy here at the moment

The Ivy flow has just started in earnest here too and with it brood rearing. I could feel the heat on top of the roofs of my poly hives. When they have finished rearing the winter bees and filled the hives with ivy nectar the winter die of will start I guess. One of the hives were brimming with bees in the top box as I had to remove the QX following a unite. However, I am hoping that the queen will migrate down as there is ample space in the bottom brood box

Did you pull any frames out? Those bees in the eke are probably just drawing wax and not there because of a lack of space.
About half the hives here are bearding during the day but go back in at night, not giving any extra room as they wont expand much more and I'll be left with a pile of ivy frames next spring

Ivy and (still) Himalayan balsam flow on here. My bees are near a disused railway line and there must be hundreds of trees all covered in ivy and all flowering. I walked along it yesterday and the scent was strong coming from the woodland let alone my hives. No need for feeding this year. I’m going to put a super on just to try it (I’ve not had it before - I need to know if I will love it or hate it).

I've never seen Ivy flower so prolifically, I'm up to three supers again on each hive.

My bees only started on Ivy last weekend but still other sources of pollen, Balsam.
A lot of Ivy still in bud and probably a couple of weeks away.

Ivy still in bud here in The North Riding except one floret.
14b67b0ffd85d47d61ff3eda63a699b6.jpg

Lots of balsam still being brought in with 3 colours although these pictures only show the dark and pale yellows there is a deeper orange too.
0c873b08c84d1f5928ada243a417b65d.jpg
of pollen with very active bees.
cea56d1063ad7ec161630e59fa776442.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Maybe a bit early for that mouse guard, just check theres not a little pile of pollen by front door.

Maybe a bit early for that mouse guard, just check theres not a little pile of pollen by front door.

Very early I know. But I’m not going to be able to do anything till into November and we’ve had one night frost.

On balance I’d rather lose pollen than have a mouse. (It’s not as if the cat has any idea what to do to keep them away.)

Just another beekeeping dilemma.

Very early I know. But I’m not going to be able to do anything till into November and we’ve had one night frost.

On balance I’d rather lose pollen than have a mouse. (It’s not as if the cat has any idea what to do to keep them away.)

Just another beekeeping dilemma.

My mouse guards have been on since hornets and wasps became a nuisance. I think you very wise, because bee colonies attract mice. Once had a mouse that used to sit on one of the struts of the stand and eat dead bees leaving a pile of remains under the hive. Wondered what was going on until I saw it. I don't usually like cats, but my neighbour's cat has very nice markings, and sometimes she catches 2 in a day. So, she is very welcome. However, I did take the mouse guards off on two hives for a couple of hours last warm spell as it caused congestion, but that is me titivating!

I'm fairly near @Beagle23 and it's been flooding in here too. I've been lazy though and left it for the bees-no supers-hoping for payback in spring as every colony is going into winter super heavy and super strong.

Ivy still in bud here in The North Riding except one floret.
14b67b0ffd85d47d61ff3eda63a699b6.jpg

Lots of balsam still being brought in with 3 colours although these pictures only show the dark and pale yellows there is a deeper orange too.
0c873b08c84d1f5928ada243a417b65d.jpg
of pollen with very active bees.
cea56d1063ad7ec161630e59fa776442.jpg

Some nice dark bee's you have there better to be safe than sorry with the mouse gaurds I don't like them my self .

It's sunny here and the girls are going mental! Still pulling in a decent amount of Pollen and the BB is very heavy.

Attachments

• IMG_4405.JPG
    IMG_4405.JPG
    508.8 KB · Views: 16
I am trying to decide what size a mouse could enter. The entrance on mine is 20mm across but only about 8mm high. You can't see on the picture above but the excluder isn't fully down over the hole to allow the bees reasonably easy access.

If their head can go through a hole so can the rest of them!! so it just depends on individual head size - there is probably an actual measurement but it will be smaller than you expect.

Back