Apiary tool box

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let's get this into perspective. There are 2-9 deaths per year from anaphylaxis from stings in the UK. Twice as many from wasp stings than bees.
In 2019 in the UK there were 1711 RTA fatalities.
Anaphylaxis rarely leads to death. Anaphylaxis itself is uncommon mostly from food.

just that Drex correctly points out that beekeepers seem to gravitate towards an epipen as the single solution when it's not
I'm not sure that I agree that there is any great enthusiasm amongst beekeepers towards EpiPens actually. If this post and reactions therein are an indication, the opposite is shown really. More like opposition than enthusiasm to be frank:). Actually, studies seem to show that most beekeepers do not even know about an adrenaline auto-injector device. The study linked below showed about 62% didn't and another showed nearly 90% didn't. I don't think there needs to be any great concern that there will be a rush for them any time soon! The report assumed that the higher level of awareness in their report compared to an earlier one was "most probably due to education provided by the regional beekeepers' association, via regular meetings and periodicals".
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5931922/

Last edited:
Standard dose is 1mg, often given as repeated doses. In cardiac arrest situations may be injected straight into the heart. Usually IV or IM. Just as adrenaline boost is short lived in the fight or flight response, so it is when injected.

I'm not sure that I agree that there is any great enthusiasm amongst beekeepers towards EpiPens actually
:iagree: I'd call it more of an obsession, plenty of threads/discussions on here over the years demonstrate that.
This one included

Not having even a first aid certificate, my personal reaction is of wariness. Far better, for me, is to protect people from danger. Keep unnecessary visitors away from the apiary, swarm control as far as possible etc..

:iagree: I'd call it more of an obsession, plenty of threads/discussions on here over the years demonstrate that.
This one included
I guess you could call it an anti EpiPen obsession, (mind you , I probably haven't seen the number of threads you have on it). From what I've seen on here I'd describe it as as more of a general opposition towards them, and those opinions are often quite strong. It's usually the same voices opposed to them mind you. This thread as an example.

Not having even a first aid certificate, my personal reaction is of wariness. Far better, for me, is to protect people from danger. Keep unnecessary visitors away from the apiary, swarm control as far as possible etc..
Yes. All those things too, but the death rate is very low.

Latest posts

Back