9 day swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
My poly nuc swarmed on 20/04/24 I saw it happen! It landed in a tall conifer in the garden. I set up a bait hive, floor, brood box old frames ,crown board and roof and waited. We had awful weather cold/frosty windy and wet and they didn't move until the weather warmed up on Tuesday 30/04/24 and they took the bait too! I now have a nuc requeening and a big fat swarm in a hive box, not sure if there's a mated queen or virgin in there, hopefully one or the other. One problem being ,I set up the bait hive on top of the compost bin and it's really too high to do inspections, I have to stand on a milk crate to take the rood off and I I can't see the frames. Have to make a plan I don't want to keep it there.

I'd put it down next to the compost bin if it's only a few feet, they should find it. Then move it 2-3 feet every few days until it's where you want it.
Às it's only a couple of days in its new home it might cope with a single move to destination after they finish flying for the day.

My poly nuc swarmed on 20/04/24 I saw it happen! It landed in a tall conifer in the garden. I set up a bait hive, floor, brood box old frames ,crown board and roof and waited. We had awful weather cold/frosty windy and wet and they didn't move until the weather warmed up on Tuesday 30/04/24 and they took the bait too! I now have a nuc requeening and a big fat swarm in a hive box, not sure if there's a mated queen or virgin in there, hopefully one or the other. One problem being ,I set up the bait hive on top of the compost bin and it's really too high to do inspections, I have to stand on a milk crate to take the rood off and I I can't see the frames. Have to make a plan I don't want to keep it there.

Attachments

• 20240420_192950.jpg
    20240420_192950.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1
  • 20240502_114028.jpg
    20240502_114028.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
I’d feed them a little too if they’ve got no stores and been stuck in a tree for 10 days

Latest posts

Back