3 frame Nuc through the winter?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gadgetman

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have a BS honey 6 frame Nuc which can be split into two 3 frame nucs.
Can two 3 frame nucs get themselves through the winter ok (obviously if fed fondant etc) or do they need to be one bigger colony?
And is now the time to be setting those up?

I see you are in Devon. If you go ahead, there is plenty of time for them to build up into good strong colonies before winter. Buy in a queen to give them the best start.
Why are you wanting to split?

I see you are in Devon. If you go ahead, there is plenty of time for them to build up into good strong colonies before winter. Buy in a queen to give them the best start.
Why are you wanting to split?
Good and strong as a 3 frame or does it need to be 6?
Just considering making up some nucs for next year. Planning to let them produce their own queens as they come from a good line of calm, hygienic bees.

You can overwinter 3 frame nucs however even if made up in early sept there’s no reason why they should not be 5-6..depends very much on how you make them up. Don’t try and skimp on boxes if that’s the case. Larger nucs will build faster and winter better. Little and often with the feed through the autumn adding frames to the middle of the brood area and you’ll be surprised how they develop. In an ideal world find a site with access to late source’s like balsam heather and best of all ivy. Pollen being the most important income.

Last edited:
Think about it gadgetman. If letting them rear their own queen, you are delaying the emerging of any new bees by 5-6 weeks, during which time that colony will be dwindling. As said plenty of time to build up into a good colony before winter, but personally I would give them as good a start as I could.

I have a BS honey 6 frame Nuc which can be split into two 3 frame nucs.
Can two 3 frame nucs get themselves through the winter ok (obviously if fed fondant etc) or do they need to be one bigger colony?
And is now the time to be setting those up?

Sorry to sidetrack the thread - where in Devon are you, i'm in East Devon and a new beek. Cheers

You can overwinter almost any number of bees in a suitably insulated and sized hive. Feed by fondant on topbars in colder weather.Bees will not go into cold feeders.
Insulation and protection from wind/rain/snow are prerequisites .
Monthly regular food inspection to top up food ESSENTIAL. (with care to prevent chilling: NO inspections tho)

I started doing this in 2017 and have done it every year. Prepare for some losses though. AND small colonies in Autumn are VERY vulnerable to wasps so take precautions.
Feed and forget for winter will not work.

I have over-wintered two mini-nucs gaffa taped together and other small colonies over the years. So yes it can be done but the smaller colony, the higher risk of loss.

Many years ago we’d overwinter in kieler type minis with another upside down on top with a ball of fondant that was replaced as needed. These got covered in insulation and sat on a shelf in a shed with an outside entrance. For a while it was fun but to be honest it’s simple to build up proper nucs or simply split a single box hive and introduce a queen to 1 half. This can literally be done even in November if you wish. Queens are also readily accepted late season.

Latest posts

Back