Your take on the Wednesday demonstrations?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polyanwood

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I left for work thinking most of the grown up children would be going and came back to find only the 18 year old had.[Proud of her]

She said everyone swarmed inside Conservative headquarters and she went inside too, but then remembered what I told her about how I had been arrested and prosecuted when I lay down in front of the Houses of Parliament all those years ago when Cruise missiles came into Britain, so she quickly left.

Yesterday at school the 17 year old's friends were showing each other marks from being hit with batons. They had not been doing anything illegal...and are generally very pro police - it is rough where we live! They are deeply shocked by the behaviour of the Police. They were hit on the bum and have deep bruises and broken skin. One of them can't sit down.

Any other stories???

Having been beaten up by the Met for daring to photograph them breaking the law by covering their faces and badges before wading into the demonstrators at the animal exports demos at Shoreham in the 90's (I was there as a photographer, not a demonstrator) I have a particularly jaundiced view of their tactics - it's an extension of the methods developed during the Thatcher era- daemonise the protesters, then send the psycho bully boys in to beat the cr*p out of them, and the tabloid readers will lap it up!

As for the recent demo, it's actually given me some hope for the present generation - youth should be revolting (in all senses of the word), and for too long they've been visibly far more interested in becoming cogs in the corporate world than "putting the world to rights", which to my mind is what they should want to do at their age! Good for them, lets hope they extend it to other matters of import, beyond the fairly self-interested grants thing
(the environment, poverty, the worst excesses of global capitalism):coolgleamA:

Been there, done it.

Makes no difference in the long run and loses public support..

In the late 60's I may have demonstrated in Grovensor Square against the conflict escallating in Vietmam, the odd half house brick may have been lobbed in the general direction of the US embassy.
I seem to recall the police being as aggressive and all on an adrenaline high as they charged battons flailing, into a moderately peaceful demonstration.
Not really supported or trusted police anywhere since then.
Like bees once they get that attack and sting to the death killer bee instinct in them there you go........................................................
I could never be a police officer I think ! perhaps I think too much!

To me it looked like the police were in a bit of a state, not knowing what to do.
The violence i don't total agree with , it depends who push who first but i also don't agree with the police methods most of the time. Also this government are pushing to hard to quick if you ask me . And i do hope that the kids make a stand for themselves as they are all going to be voters and by the looks of it ,they don't like the libs or cons at the mo which might make them think about the direction they are heading in.

I suspect there may be a lot of "politics" behind this - following Bliar and Gorgon's police state, Cameron is keen to give the impression that he wants to return our freedoms to us (thinking we won't notice he's going ahead with spying on us on the internet), and I suspect the word has gone out to the likes of the Met not to be caught "doing a Tomlinson", and put the brakes on the Delroy Smellies of this world as it doesn't look good -
Stephenson, being a bone-brain, was either blitheringly incompetent by not putting sufficient plod on the streets, OR more likely, kept numbers deliberately small, in the hope he could turn round to his political masters and tell them he wants to go back to loosing the psychos at demos again, as the new "softly, softly" approach wasn't working......... - either way he should be strung up by his gonads.........

Protesting to keep down student fees. When the geek ripping down the ceiling in the reception is identified and gets a bill, will he feel responsible for his actions then and does he and his friends think that causing thousands of pounds of damage is going to make anything cheaper for anyone?

How many were manipulated by those with a violent agenda and beaten by police with a percentage of testosterone fuelled bully boys in their number?

Does anyone feel that both the students and their destruction of property for what they feel is their own self interest is any different to the poppy burners and their repugnant comments?

I believe that each group deserves bringing to heel.

Last edited:
If it wasn't for these students being so clever with there black hat hackers i doubt we would know half the stuff we do about government lol

Ian Hislop made a good comment on the riot last night. He said none of the rioters would actually have to pay the increased fees due to the timescale for their introduction. So what they were actually protesting about was their right to subsidise future students out of their own taxes.

Ian Hislop made a good comment on the riot last night. He said none of the rioters would actually have to pay the increased fees due to the timescale for their introduction. So what they were actually protesting about was their right to subsidise future students out of their own taxes.

Since when has logic formed any part of demonstrations..?

Wonder how the French would deal with this,and many of the things this government is doing.....bring the entire country to a juddering halt i suspect.

Been subsidised their whole life and now they actually have to start thinking about finances and paying for everything their not happy....!
:nopity:

Welcome to the becoming an adult in rip off Britain.

As soon as the first brick was thrown send in the riot police, tear gas and rubber bullets imho

Been subsidised their whole life and now they actually have to start thinking about finances and paying for everything their not happy....!

Rekon so......in a program a while ago the students seemed to of worked it out,get the grants,finnish university.....then declare themselves bankcrupt.

....... firstly, and sadly, most demonstrations attract a fringe troublemaking element - the ones seen attacking property or Mr Plod that the newshounds lap up, which means the popular press gets the images they want so that the vast majority of peaceful protesters can be depicted as "dangerous subversives" (So Mr thicket psycho plod has then got the excuse to belt the living daylights out of ALL of them next time)
Then there's the whole question of modern University degrees - back in the dark ages (the 60's) only the very bright, who really did benefit from a university education, could get one, and were generously subsidised to do so - nowadays it would appear even shelf-fillers demand a "Meeja Studies" degree - in my experience, many youngsters sporting "degrees" can hardly recollect or write their own names, let alone tie their own shoe laces, and any kid that passed the "11-plus" in the late 50's could run rings around them......
We need to return to appropriate education - degrees only for the very brightest, and good vocational training for the rest..........
I shall now retire behind a blast wall.......

Brosville;92147Then there's the whole question of modern University degrees - back in the dark ages (the 60's) only the very bright said:
Bros - don't find myself in agreement with you 100% of the time, but you are bang on there.

Bros, it seems that you are in danger of being viewed as a conformist for once. Your reputation will take a lot of fixing to get it back where it was, LOL :)

The problem I see is too many people now expect (feel they are forced) to get a degree...regardless of what it is in, to be able to progress.

Even ignoring the current lack of jobs for even top class students with half decent degrees in something useful, back when I did my degree (1998) the number of people expecting they will be on £100+ in some nice PR Senior management job was unreal.

SO back to fees, its the age old thing of supply and demand. There is more demand for "free" education, but not enough money.

How many of these people would be better off on an appentiship of day release type course?

Oh but then there are no new jobs because the world has ground to a halt (or has it?)

I spent the whole of today on the first of many HAZOP meeting for a £100 Million pound project on my site for 2016 completion.

Recession? What recession, business if booming for me!:sifone:

Edit to add, the events of Wednesday where completley wrong and people should be arrested and jaild for many of the events.

Last edited:
Hivemaker,
The French almost did bring France to a standstill recently. A strike by Fuel refinery workers, they were objecting to the raising of the retirement age

FROM SIXTY to SIXTYTWO:nopity:

Latest posts

Back