Your liability to report varroa

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enrico

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Taken from the bbka magazine. It seems it is sufficient to let bee base know that your colony had varroa to comply with the new law. To make life easy, if you use bee base your colonies will automatically be ticked as having varroa although you can uncheck the box! That is enough to comply. Clearly if you don't use bee base then you still need to report any hives with varroa, not any treatments, to comply.

BBKA late on the scene as usual - we've known that for ages and anyone on Beebsae would have got an explanatory email from them.
You can uncheck the varroa box if the SBI hasn't visited your apiary, but if they have, it will stay as 'varroa present'

Well. I am on bee base and I didn't get any email. When you say.... we've known that for ages.....I didn't! Sorry to everyone else who apparently already knows! 😱

Well. I am on bee base and I didn't get any email. When you say.... we've known that for ages.....I didn't! Sorry to everyone else who apparently already knows! 😱
On Beesase, but never got an email ... Only known because of the chatter on here.

Taken from the bbka magazine. It seems it is sufficient to let bee base know that your colony had varroa to comply with the new law. To make life easy, if you use bee base your colonies will automatically be ticked as having varroa although you can uncheck the box! That is enough to comply. Clearly if you don't use bee base then you still need to report any hives with varroa, not any treatments, to comply.
So every hive in the UK needs to be reported? Hold on I have more important things to do. It's safe to assume every hive has varroa. Unless my gypsy spells really do work. Why don't they just say its mandatory for a beekeeper to register on beebase?

Last edited:
Next we will have to subscribe to beebase at a hefty fee or report each and every hive, its location job lot

I got a message about a month after it was discussed here.
Maybe the NBU lurk here, garner information, have a multidisciplinary meeting then issue a proclamation to the rest of the UK?

I got a message about a month after it was discussed here.
Maybe the NBU lurk here, garner information, have a multidisciplinary meeting then issue a proclamation to the rest of the UK?
I'm sure there are NBU lurkers here. I should think they have a chuckle about the OA threads 😄

Neither did I. However I did receive excellent explanatory information from the Scottish Beekeepers Assn. just before forum members imploded/exploded a while ago.

So every hive in the UK needs to be reported? Hold on I have more important things to do. It's safe to assume every hive has varroa. Unless my gypsy spells really do work. Why don't they just say its mandatory for a beekeeper to register on beebase?
it clearly states on beebase (and has for months) that your new style record's default setting is that the apiary has varroa so need for anyone to get their undercrackers in a knot.
And as for those who didn't get the email - no idea, I actually got two on the 21st of May because I used to manage two accounts.

THIS IS AN AUTOMATED EMAIL. PLEASE DO NOT REPLY.

MAE HWN YN E-BOST AWTOMATAIDD. PEIDIWCH AG YMATEB.

Dear Mr Emyr Jenkins,

Annwyl Mr Emyr Jenkins,

BeeBase is an information resource for beekeepers. One of the important features of Beebase is its register of beekeepers and their apiaries. The register enables inspectors to target inspections, for example those close to disease outbreaks. For any register to work, it must be up to date and accurate. NBU inspectors need to know where beekeepers are keeping their bees, especially those in disease risk areas. Beekeepers move house, close apiaries, open new ones, increase and decrease their colony numbers. Our experience is that beekeepers often register and then forget to update their records when their circumstances change.

Over winter 2020/21, as a result of feedback, the Beekeeper Personal Records functions have been redesigned. They have been made simpler, more interactive and easier to update. The new layout is much clearer: there are large buttons to ‘Add New Apiaries’, ‘Edit Apiary’ and ‘View History’. There is now a map with each apiary record, showing the apiary location and you can drag a marker around to ensure the apiary is in the correct location.

There is also a new ‘Varroa Present?’ tick box. – This has been created to meet a new Varroa recording requirement added in amendments to the the Bee Diseases and Pests Control (Wales) Order 2006, the Bee Diseases and Pests Control (England) Order 2006 and the Bees Diseases and Pest Control (Scotland) Order 2007. These came into force on 21st April 2021 and require beekeepers and/or officials to report the presence of Varroa in any of the hives that they manage. This amendment will allow us to comply with the Animal Health Law, which is necessary for future working relationships with the European Union. If you have varroa, no action is required from beekeepers – the default setting has been set to ‘Yes’, given that Varroa is endemic in the UK (with a couple of very specific exceptions).

Being registered on Beebase is the easiest way to report Varroa but an alternative mechanism will be provided for those who do not wish to register on the BeeBase system. Details of this alternative system will be provided soon.

Ailddylunio cofnodion personol gwenynwyr ar BeeBase

Adnodd gwybodaeth i wenynwyr yw BeeBase. Un o nodweddion pwysig BeeBase yw'r gofrestr o wenynwyr a'u gwenynfeydd. Mae'r gofrestru yn galluogi arolygwyr i dargedu archwiliadau, er enghraifft, y rhai sy'n agos at achosion o glefydau. Er mwyn i unrhyw gofrestr weithio, rhaid iddi fod yn gyfredol ac yn gywir. Mae angen i arolygwyr yr UWG wybod ble mae gwenynwyr yn cadw eu gwenyn, yn enwedig y rhai sydd mewn ardaloedd â risg o glefydau. Bydd gwenynwyr yn symud ty, yn cau gwenynfeydd, yn agor rhai newydd, ac yn cynyddu ac yn lleihau niferoedd eu nythfeydd. Ein profiad ni yw y bydd gwenynwyr yn aml yn cofrestru ac yna'n anghofio diweddaru eu cofnodion pan fydd eu hamgylchiadau'n newid.

Yn ystod gaeaf 2020/21, o ganlyniad i adborth, mae'r swyddogaethau Cofnodion Personol Gwenynwyr wedi cael eu hailddylunio. Maent bellach yn symlach, yn fwy rhyngweithiol ac yn haws eu diweddaru. Mae'r cynllun newydd yn llawer cliriach: mae botymau mawr er mwyn ychwanegu gwenynfeydd newydd, golygu gwenynfa a gweld eich hanes. Mae map gyda phob cofnod gwenynfa, yn dangos lleoliad y wenynfa, a gallwch lusgo marciwr o gwmpas i sicrhau bod y wenynfa yn y lleoliad cywir.

Hefyd, mae blwch i roi tic ynddo os oes Varroa yn bresennol. – Cyflwynwyd y blwch ticio hwn er mwyn bodloni gofyniad cofnodi Varroa newydd a ychwanegwyd mewn diwygiadau i Orchymyn Rheoli Clefydau a Phlâu Gwenyn (Cymru) 2006, Gorchymyn Rheoli Clefydau a Phlâu Gwenyn (Lloegr) 2006 a Gorchymyn Rheoli Clefydau a Phlâu Gwenyn (yr Alban) 2007. Daeth y rhain i rym ar 21 Ebrill 2021 ac maent yn ei gwneud yn ofynnol i wenynwyr a/neu swyddogion roi gwybod am bresenoldeb Varroa yn unrhyw rai o'r cychod gwenyn y maent yn eu rheoli. Bydd y diwygiad hwn yn ein galluogi i gydymffurfio â Chyfraith Iechyd Anifeiliaid, sy'n angenrheidiol ar gyfer cydberthnasau gwaith â'r Undeb Ewropeaidd yn y dyfodol. Os oes gennych Varroa, nid oes angen i wenynwyr weithredu – y rhagosodiad yw ei fod yn bresennol o ystyried bod Varroa yn endemig yn y DU (gyda rhai eithriadau penodol iawn).

Cofrestru ar BeeBase yw'r ffordd hawsaf o roi gwybod am Varroa ond darperir system amgen ar gyfer y rhai nad ydynt am gofrestru ar BeeBase. Bydd manylion y system amgen hon ar gael yn fuan.

To unsubscribe to these updates, follow the link below to log in and update your preferences:

I ddad-danysgrifio i'r diweddariadau hyn, dilynwch y ddolen isod i fewngofnodi a diweddaru eich dewisiadau:

Beebase - Beekeeping information resource for Beekeepers

Kind regards,

Cofion cynnes,

National Bee Unit.

Yr Uned Wenyn Genedlaethol.

Back