Your help is needed please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bcrazy

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
nil bees given away all colonies
Collected a big prime swarm on Monday, that evening I placed it into an Observation Hive of two brood frames and one super frame. The following morning when I had a look the both sides of the frames were at least two deep in bees with little movement. So now I had to remove some of the bees but I could not find the queen, what should I do?
Thanks

put them all in a nuc box and send them to me,

:0)

My wife can spot a queen on a crowded frame a mile away... :hurray:

How about using the same method as when collecting just nurse bees. Lift and gently shake each frame, all the mature bees which should be all of them as its a swarm should take to the air leaving hopefully only the queen on the frame.

:cheers2:

Just take a random half out say into a nuc, but put a test frame of eggs in the nuc. If they make queen cells, the queen is in the observation hive, if they don't, she is in the nuc... she will be a lot easier to find in a nuc anyway if she is in the nuc, so you will be able to find her and put her back.

Just take a random half out say into a nuc, but put a test frame of eggs in the nuc. If they make queen cells, the queen is in the observation hive, if they don't, she is in the nuc... she will be a lot easier to find in a nuc anyway if she is in the nuc, so you will be able to find her and put her back

i agree

Just take a random half out say into a nuc, but put a test frame of eggs in the nuc. If they make queen cells, the queen is in the observation hive, if they don't, she is in the nuc... she will be a lot easier to find in a nuc anyway if she is in the nuc, so you will be able to find her and put her back.

:iagree:

sorry. just getting thr hang of this. :)

You have 24 colonies.

You can't find the queen in a three frame nuc?

A big prime swarm and housed on 3 frames?

Either 1) you cannot count, 2) misplaced your specs or 3) should know better than that.

This MUST be a spoof!!!

RAB

Last edited:
I assume that this is another of Bcrazy's questions intended to get people thinking about their beekeeping. (A good thing...a good few beeks wade in without giving much thought to what they are doing at times I think) If not, then its good to see the answers anyway!:D)

If it is they myself, I'd have thought the bees where very overcrowded, maybe without enough food with limited storage

I'd bung em all in a full sized hive, feed heavily, use oxalic acid on them seeing as they are a swarm and without brood yet. Then come back in 3-4 days, check out how they are doing. After a week check to see if the queen had come back into lay (if no eggs try putting in a test frame of eggs and young brood).

Creating a good observation hive colony is a balancing act at the best of times, with a large swarm they would be far to overcrowded and could overheat quickly especially at this time of year in warm weather.(maybe a reason for them all being still on the comb?)

Collected a big prime swarm on Monday, that evening I placed it into an Observation Hive of two brood frames and one super frame. The following morning when I had a look the both sides of the frames were at least two deep in bees with little movement. So now I had to remove some of the bees but I could not find the queen, what should I do?
Thanks

Put in a big hive else they will abscond and stop being silly :D

C B

I assume that this is another of Bcrazy's questions intended to get people thinking about their beekeeping. ?)

Brazy thinks too much. Why to put others to think same things?

And what was the problem. To try squeeze 10 litre swarm to the 2 litre observation hive.
Then he wonders were is my queen? Better to look nearby tree tops.

Before all you know it alls carry on having a go. What I did was to remove the lower frame with all the bees on into a Nuc and shook the majority of the bees off the second brood frame . the colony have now settled down and building comb on all three frames. The bees in a Nuc are calm and I did try to find the queen in amongst a lot of bees but never came across her. So I am hoping she is still in the OBs hive.

By the way Crazy bull Up yours!!!!!

By the way I had carried out these manipulations prior to writting the post and it was intended to see what others would do in the same situation.
For those that were polite in their responses THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP.
For those that know better than anyone else and believe it was a spoof THANK YOU FOR NOTHING.

aND Finman they are still in the obs hive not in any trees d...head.

For those who wish to report this post your welcome.

Before all you know it alls carry on having a go. What I did was to remove the lower frame with all the bees on into a Nuc and shook the majority of the bees off the second brood frame . the colony have now settled down and building comb on all three frames. The bees in a Nuc are calm and I did try to find the queen in amongst a lot of bees but never came across her. So I am hoping she is still in the OBs hive.

By the way Crazy bull Up yours!!!!!

By the way I had carried out these manipulations prior to writting the post and it was intended to see what others would do in the same situation.
For those that were polite in their responses THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP.
For those that know better than anyone else and believe it was a spoof THANK YOU FOR NOTHING.

aND Finman they are still in the obs hive not in any trees d...head.

For those who wish to report this post your welcome.

Come on Mo ,don't spit your dummy out :smash: I'm sure you knew the reactions to: before you posted your thread :nopity:.

John Wilkinson

Can you imagine anyone daft enough to squeeze a large prime swarm into that space? No? Well, we do now!

Regards, RAB

yeah, that is a huge problem to anyone:"Collected a big prime swarm on Monday, that evening I placed it into an Observation Hive of two brood frames and one super frame."
'

kickem while there down oliver90owner that's the way . I did not realise that the ammount of bees would cover that much area, but are we not allowed to make mistakes? This is learning the hard way.
Anyone else wishes to jump on the band wagon?

others-233.gif

Back