Your glove of choice!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Morning as the season has just really begun and gloves are going to be used alot from now on.

My glove of choice are aldi's marigolds reasons they last for lots more than one inspection by washing them between inspections, no stings compared to leather gloves, nitriles rip all the time for me any way.

What are your glove of choice!
+1 for aldi arrigoldswhen they have large in stock

If you rub a few drops of Olbas Oil onto your hands or gloves you will find that the bees move away from them ... it's a mix of aromatic oils .. eucalyptus and menthod mainly. If you are using single use nitriles or bare hands ... works a treat. (Not that I'm brave enough to go without gloves !). I probably could with some of my colonies but multiple stings to your hands is not pleasant ...
That is a excellent tip. You mentioned it last year and I've been using it on my nitriles since then. I haven't taken a single sting whilst using it.

I use the stronger black 'marigold' type, reversed. I can clean them and they seem to last well, usually x 2 sets a season. Vary rare to get any stings through them. Thin enough to be dexterous, but very sweaty on a hot day, my hands come out and feel like they have been in a sauna.

I have some welders gloves from lidl that I use when sublimating oxalic, I did try them for an inspection on a very bad tempered hive, but they are too clumsy for general use. They do come in handy for pulling up briars in the garden.
Interesting - I use them as well although I find that sizes vary between the supermarkets - I have relatively small hands and Tesco medium are a touch on the small side but the large are massive. Asda medium are too small but large are about right - why do you wear them inside out?

Interesting - I use them as well although I find that sizes vary between the supermarkets - I have relatively small hands and Tesco medium are a touch on the small side but the large are massive. Asda medium are too small but large are about right - why do you wear them inside out?
Inside out so that I don't have back hands like a bear! 😁. No idea whether the bees really care about that, just got in to the habit

Ok so was it the gloves or the bees or you,
They'd never been like that before and once I'd reverted to black marigold types were back to normal so I can only put it down to the gloves. Pretty much as soon as I opened the hive they went for me through the fabric at the "top" of the gloves. Maybe they were just having an off-day but its not an experiment I wish to repeat.

What happened there? Did you get stung through gloves?
Yes - I was wearing a pair of rubber coated fabric builders gloves (from Aldi if memory serves). Pretty much as soon as I opened the hive they went for me through the fabric. I ended up having to close up and beat a retreat.

Inside out so that I don't have back hands like a bear! 😁. No idea whether the bees really care about that, just got in to the habit
Interesting - I've not got much to compare it with but I've always used them the right way round and not noticed an issue - might have to get a new pair and use one of the old ones the right way and a new one the wrong way round to see if it makes a difference.

I have a theory (haven't we all...) that the bees don't like latex gloves. I've got some heavy duty black latex and I'm convinced they attract many more stings than my usual thin blue nitriles. I don't think colour has much to do with it.

I was lucky to get a few pairs of Dickies nitrile gloves at a car boot sale. They are tough, light blue colour and in different sizes. I have seen them on an image search but don't have a specific supplier. But washable in washing soda so the propolis/wax washes away and sting proof. Hope this helps

I’m still using my thick leather ones which have problems. Don’t feel brave enough for nitriles yet. What does the hive mind think of these as an option?

https://www.zafety.co.uk/turtleskin...BqcPWdrCyNpuKa9oCsHcwRml7SOrC87xoCsjgQAvD_BwE
Marigolds or the Aldi equivalent with a pair of nitriles over the top is what I use .. bees can't sting through these layers and yet you retain the sensitivity - the nitriles can be changed if they split (some do - some don't) and with a drop or two of Olbas Oil rubbed in ... best glove solution there is. A bucket of washing soda in warm water on hand for a quick glove and hive tool clean. Near perfection as far as I'm concerned - and i've tried everythng from the welders gloves to the nitriles on their own ... either too clumsy or the little beggars sting gets through. I tried the black fabric backed builders gloves from Toolstation - I use them for gardening and other jobs a lot .. bees did not like them at all, stings through the fabric back.

About the only thing I haven't tried is the really expensive goatskin ones which are apparently the devil to keep clean and not 100% sting proof anyway ....

• Normally Ultrasafe Violet Nitrile Long Cuff, having used them at Stoneleigh on a queen rearing course.
  • If in doubt, I revert to bog standard Marigolds.
  • I did try long cuff Marigolds: https://www.marigold.co.uk/product/longer-bathroom-gloves/ but be warned. Give them a good wash before using them. I tried using a pair straight out of the packet and had ten stings within a few seconds. This may be similar to the issue Beejam had

I’m still using my thick leather ones which have problems. Don’t feel brave enough for nitriles yet. What does the hive mind think of these as an option?

https://www.zafety.co.uk/turtleskin...BqcPWdrCyNpuKa9oCsHcwRml7SOrC87xoCsjgQAvD_BwE
Bees sting straight through them, it's Kevlar weave and the stings fit easily through the weave. We used to use them for searches where we suspected there may be needle booby traps so I brought a few pairs home to try with the bees

Bees sting straight through them, it's Kevlar weave and the stings fit easily through the weave. We used to use them for searches where we suspected there may be needle booby traps so I brought a few pairs home to try with the bees
That’s saved my £20. I’ll go with marigolds I think.

I use big blue rubber ones from Simon the BK. They are good protection for general use, but not that 'refined.' I have a box of Uvex Nitrile gloves that I use for more 'dexterous' use. I was stung through one the other day, due to my suit thumb-strap being on the outside. A bee landed on it and I think the fabric of the strap 'guided' the sting straight through the glove!

Slightly off subject, but whilst talking PPE: We have just bought two Swienty Breeze bee suits. WOW......what a difference! Great protection and not called 'breeze' for nothing!

Back