Your glove of choice!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Long cuff nitriles. I often get a couple of inspections out of them before they split. I'd be tempted to try marigold style gloves for longevity, but I hate wearing gloves, and don't think I could tolerate them. If it wasn't for propolis I'd go glove free!

Finally made the switch from leather to marigolds this season, due to fears over disease spread on leather. Am now wondering what on earth took me so long. Much easier to handle frames out of boxes, and the single sting I have taken on the marigolds so far did not penetrate to the skin (which pleasantly surprised me) (I am sure it is possible to be stung through marigolds of course, and no doubt I will be at some point)

Going to give nitrile a try at some point
It took me three seasons to be confident enough to just use marigolds.
I will never go back... I'm even trying without gloves with my most gentle colonys.
I think keeping gloves and your suites clean aids happier inspecting, that and getting into a chilled zone before you start...
This last weekend I inspected all colonys and I had no vail bouncing or stings to the hands all colonys were gentle a conbination of the above really works...

Some of you might know I was going to cull quite a few queen's but after leaving the colonys for a further few weeks there is only 2 so my 50% cull isn't going to happen.

I used to use single use nitriles. But I decided I didn't like the amount of waste generated so have moved to marigold style gloves. I wouldn't rule out the more durable nitriles though. I am currently trying to find marigolds with a snug fit, the ones I have now are a bit loose for my liking.

When I do wear gloves I buy Extra large long cuff nitriles.
I use extra large as they offer that extra space needed to remove gloves when my hands are hot and sweaty.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultrasaf...196141?hash=item2d13788e2d:g:Y2QAAOSwwVBfICOP

But most times I use Avon Skin So Soft Original and bare hands.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Avon-Ski...045908&hash=item1ec1543d91:g:eIYAAOSwNaNbS7vp
My own bees are docile enough to work with that I get no more than 2-3 stings at most per session on a bad day with them.

Other People's Bees are a different matter. Some are horrible. As I help a number of beginners, I tend to get a number lot of stings :(. Then I put on nitriles.

As far as hand cleaning, any alcohol based hand sanitiser will do the job but Carex Aloe Hand Gel, Instant Drying is kinder on the hands. Propolis disappears like magic. Good also for cleaning nitriles!

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/Product/carex-aloe-hand-gel--instant-drying-50ml

I use the stronger black 'marigold' type, reversed. I can clean them and they seem to last well, usually x 2 sets a season. Vary rare to get any stings through them. Thin enough to be dexterous, but very sweaty on a hot day, my hands come out and feel like they have been in a sauna.

I have some welders gloves from lidl that I use when sublimating oxalic, I did try them for an inspection on a very bad tempered hive, but they are too clumsy for general use. They do come in handy for pulling up briars in the garden.
Nobody ever told you bees dont like black...

As some are talking of cleaning gloves I use a litre of water in a square bucket and a sprinkle of some soda crystals to wash my gloves no measurements other than the water.
I would be interested to know if there is something I can use that isnt a chemical?
Home made recipes?

Long cuff nitrile normally, but they are as rare as hen's teeth atm. I've got a box but for general inspections, I use generic washing up gloves.

Only use one pair of long cuff nitriles now. Started off with leather in first year, then marigolds, then 2 pairs of nitriles, now one pair of nitriles. Find it easier to pick up queens and can feel vibration of workers so I know if they are about to sting and can gently move them.

A tip is I mix a few drops of clove oil with almond oil c 50ml and keep this is a small bottle with a dropper. Drop 2 or 3 drops onto nitrile gloves before inspections and bees tend not to sting. Confuses them. Tip from a retired bee inspector. I don't do this though when i know i'll be handling queens e.g early in season when clipping.

As some are talking of cleaning gloves I use a litre of water in a square bucket and a sprinkle of some soda crystals to wash my gloves no measurements other than the water.
I would be interested to know if there is something I can use that isnt a chemical?
Home made recipes?
Everything's a chemical even if homemade.
I just use washing soda and a squirt of Fairy in my hive tool bucket. Cleans the marigolds at the same time as the hive tool.🙂

I wear cotton flocked nitrile long cuffs my hands sweat a lot in them, so I also use a thin over glove ( vinyl, nitrile or latex) which makes changing the over glove easier between each hive. A small bit of talc makes them easier to slide on.
The over gloves if re-usable are simply left under the roof for next time, the under glove gets a spray of disinfectant and a wipe in between each change of top glove. A pair of under gloves lasts me or about two seasons.

Moved from nitriles to Marigolds this season. Much better than I thought they’d be.

I never had an issue with an old pair of leather gloves being more prone to stings. I’ll have a decent pair of the thick cow hide for normal use. Would normally buy a couple of pairs from swienty or an American brand, most available here are poor quality and end up ripping on me. There’s some really good flexi fit fabric coated gloves about atm for a few £ a pair from builders/dec merchants. There not sting proof but do for keeping the crap off your hands. Other then that no gloves, can’t stand the hands in rubber!!
ooh no. I used them once and the bees went for me big time. I had to close up and beat a retreat with 20+ stings in each hand. Never again

ooh no. I used them once and the bees went for me big time. I had to close up and beat a retreat with 20+ stings in each hand. Never again
Lol use them loads no issues and on a good few hives!

Everything's a chemical even if homemade.
I just use washing soda and a squirt of Fairy in my hive tool bucket. Cleans the marigolds at the same time as the hive tool.🙂
Is there not some herb I can use or plant :LOL:

My smoker fuel is lavender and orange peel thank dani for that one!

Is there not some herb I can use or plant :LOL:

My smoker fuel is lavender and orange peel thank dani for that one!
If you rub a few drops of Olbas Oil onto your hands or gloves you will find that the bees move away from them ... it's a mix of aromatic oils .. eucalyptus and menthod mainly. If you are using single use nitriles or bare hands ... works a treat. (Not that I'm brave enough to go without gloves !). I probably could with some of my colonies but multiple stings to your hands is not pleasant ...

Latest posts

Back