Your glove of choice!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curly green finger's

If you think you know all, you actually know nowt!
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
86 + nucs/ mini nucs
Morning as the season has just really begun and gloves are going to be used alot from now on.

My glove of choice are aldi's marigolds reasons they last for lots more than one inspection by washing them between inspections, no stings compared to leather gloves, nitriles rip all the time for me any way.

What are your glove of choice!

Marigolds for Kim and I as well. I started with the usual leather gauntlets and my mentor quickly pointed out that I'd get more stings that way.
Moved to marigolds and have never looked back.
Only downside is the sweaty hand thing at the end of a hot day.

I never had an issue with an old pair of leather gloves being more prone to stings. I’ll have a decent pair of the thick cow hide for normal use. Would normally buy a couple of pairs from swienty or an American brand, most available here are poor quality and end up ripping on me. There’s some really good flexi fit fabric coated gloves about atm for a few £ a pair from builders/dec merchants. There not sting proof but do for keeping the crap off your hands. Other then that no gloves, can’t stand the hands in rubber!!

Cow hide leather. No gooey sweating inside as they can breathe. Cotton cricket glove inners (underneath the leather), if you really don't want to get stung on the fingers.

Ansell Marigold 37-520 G21B Blue Soft Nitrile Household Rubber Cleaning Gloves via eBay. They wash and wear well for me and coupled with wrist gaiters provide protection against determined penetration. I do turn them inside out to dry following use on hot days.

Nitriles for me, mainly because they keep my hands clean, swapped after each apiary. At the end of the week the passenger seat well of my van seems to be knee deep in discarded ones!😀
As Dani says prices were, and still are, much higher. I used to pay £5/box (10p/pair) the last lot I bought were £12/box.

I've been surprised by the Old Castle Farm Sentinel gloves. When they arrived I thought they'd be too bulky, but they're actually very sensitive while giving very good protection.

Not all nitrile gloves are "thin". I have some that are designated as 'washing up and food safe gloves' with a good long gauntlet style arm. I have never (yet) been stung through them, yet they offer great sensitivity and stretch well to give a tight fit. Costed under a fiver from flea bay I think it was there was a choice of colours including white.

Not all nitrile gloves are "thin". I have some that are designated as 'washing up and food safe gloves' with a good long gauntlet style arm. I have never (yet) been stung through them, yet they offer great sensitivity and stretch well to give a tight fit. Costed under a fiver from flea bay I think it was there was a choice of colours including white.
Name and source for them please?

Last edited:
I use the stronger black 'marigold' type, reversed. I can clean them and they seem to last well, usually x 2 sets a season. Vary rare to get any stings through them. Thin enough to be dexterous, but very sweaty on a hot day, my hands come out and feel like they have been in a sauna.

I have some welders gloves from lidl that I use when sublimating oxalic, I did try them for an inspection on a very bad tempered hive, but they are too clumsy for general use. They do come in handy for pulling up briars in the garden.

Name and source for them please?
Here is the page take your pick and then do what I did and trawl around for a much cheaper version.
Edit................SUPERTOUCH NITRILE N15 LATEX FREE WASHING UP GLOVES..With their 33cm length and nitrile material, the long sleeve gloves are our top pick if you're looking for hand and forearm protection.

Last edited:
Disposable nitrile gloves are very strong, maybe some people confuse them with cheaper vinyl gloves...and they aren't as disposable as the name suggests. I used to use these:
https://www.toolstation.com/black-mamba-super-tough-disposable-gloves/p35145...but as the price has doubled since last year, maybe I won't do any more. My pockets are usually filled with them as they also come in handy when gardening or messing with the car; they are very tough and can be used several times.
I worried at first because I read that bees would target the black, but so far, no stings on my hands.

Just bought 2 more pairs of leather gloves from STB at £5.99. My last pair from him have been great, but the cuffs are far to long for me and so SWMBO shortens them. Leather soap helps to keep them supple. I cannot stand Nitrile as my hands end up floating in sweat inside them!

Disposable nitrile gloves are very strong, maybe some people confuse them with cheaper vinyl gloves...and they aren't as disposable as the name suggests. I used to use theses:
https://www.toolstation.com/black-mamba-super-tough-disposable-gloves/p35145...but as the price has doubled since last year, maybe I won't do any more. My pockets are ususally filled with them as they also come in handy when gardening or messing with the car; they are very tough and can be used several times.
I worried at first because I read that bees would target the black, but so far, no stings on my hands.
I read that somewhere to I don't know how true it is?

I use the pro Ultrasafe Violet long cuff nitrile gloves. A good thickness and the last multiple uses. I normally double glove as the bees can get through them (and marigolds). They don't rip and when I'm finished with them they are used as a disposable glove when working on machinery etc.

As others have said, they've shot up in price so I'll be more careful with the box I have this year.

Finally made the switch from leather to marigolds this season, due to fears over disease spread on leather. Am now wondering what on earth took me so long. Much easier to handle frames out of boxes, and the single sting I have taken on the marigolds so far did not penetrate to the skin (which pleasantly surprised me) (I am sure it is possible to be stung through marigolds of course, and no doubt I will be at some point)

Going to give nitrile a try at some point

Back