You Tube Videos

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pandtpoultry

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi, I am new to this only having bees for 5 weeks now but am really enjoying it, I really enjoy my weekly hive inspections but I must admit I do dress like the mitchelin man on the basis i would like to keep bees but also stings to a minimum. I understand sometime I will get stung but I am aiming for a 0 sting rate if possible but on You Tube there are some great videos which really help me. Maybe because I am new but some people are only wearing shorts or a shirt and trousers is this normal? Just saw someone bang a swarm in a cardboard box with people around unprotected. I am right safety first in bee keeping or am I over the top?
Please understand I am a novice so please do call me a coward too loudly.

Everyone has a choice of PPE. Those who ignore the need, must accept the consequences, should anything go awry.

Regards, RAB

Those people you watched on you tube probably all got stung. They just don't mind. I watched a local BBKA bloke go into a hive with no gloves and a veil open. He got stung 4 times but carried on. Said it doesn't hurt any more he's had so many.

Wear all the PPE you want to and don't think its wrong, your bees could turn nasty because of something silly and you will be glad you are protected.

Pete

He was lying. Every sting hurts and some more than others.

PH

He was lying. Every sting hurts and some more than others.

PH

:iagree: I don’t have a mega reaction to stings anymore but believe me they still hurt when I get them. My doctor also advised that the next sting could be the one that pushes my immune system over the edge. Please don’t be brave (or stupid) and keep covered up.

Bees are fascinating and have lots of attributes but they are not cute and cuddly and will at some time will become very angry and try and kill you! Before anyone says differently, no I am not being alarmist I had a colony that did just that and went for me en-mass. The next week when dressed like a deep-sea diver to check them they were a gentle as kittens.
Cheers
S

I used to wear just one pair of trousers (and all the rest of the normal kit, stop thinking silly thoughts!)but after having been stung on my thigh I now wear a thin pair of inner tracky bottoms under my trousers, tucked into my wellies and a long sleeved t shirt under my veil and smock, I hate pain and will avoid it at all costs. why take the risk? I am not a coward and neither are you.

Thanks for all the posotive answers, i dont want to feel a plonker but i would prefer to enjoy bees than suffering from them. But being new I dont know if i am on over kill but your kind answers are boosting my confidence.
I was inspecting yesterday and 2 wasps flew in the top and caused a bit of an uproar for a minute but they went away and things calmed down but with my kit on I was very relaxed and continued my inspection and making all my notes.
I thank you again, i will stay the mitchelin man and really enjoy my new bees :)

It's only an issue in the height of summer (in the UK, anyway) - Spring and Autumn you'd be wearing a fair bit anyway, so it might as well be protecting you sensibly and giving you more confidence.

I wear a full astronaut suit, advised by my Mentors, and it gives me the option to carry on inspecting, despite grumpy bees, when I have to or to close up early and leave them to it if they are 'out-of-the-norm' cross and I want to give them an extra day. If you were only to wear the minimum they'd be in charge of when you did inspections, which might not be a good thing.

HTH

FG

He was lying. Every sting hurts and some more than others. PH

Peoples pain threshold varies considerably .
I have a fairly high pain threshold :hurray: in as much as I don't feel /react to surface damage to my skin half as much as the average Joe . Nothing macho about it , it's just the way it is .
Until you gain some insight into your bees behaviour , your reaction to stings , are able to recognise when a colony about to boil over, please take all the necessary precautions .
Remember not all bees display the same tolerance to interference !! Don't be fooled by youtube set ups, there are lots of conditioning ruses plus particularly docile bees that allow liberties to be taken .

John Wilkinson

Last edited:
Is this what you mean

This guy is mad. Sorry if its been on here before [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFvOOZdD5p8[/ame]

I dont mind the stings its the reactions I get that are an issue!!! so I always make sure I wear protective gear. earlier this year I didnt put on my thin outer trousers and got a lovely zap through my jeans! never again!!! Its great wearing all the extra layers in the summers anyway great way to sweat some weight off!!!

IMO so long as you can move ok and dont knock things over than you arent wearing too much

Hi had not seen that one on you tube but for a beginner I must admit these vidoes actually put me off bees but I with great advice here and from others I am getting really into it. I have set out my little changing area where I keep my stuff so I am always covered. Getting my routine sorted really helps only 5 weeks ago opened my frst bees which was super scary to last inspection where knowing well protected can be super calm. Again thanks for all your feedback it is nice to know that I am not alone in wanting to keep bees yet not really wanting to get stung too often. :)
May I say also that this forum is very constructive from most of what I have read unlike a couple of poultry ones that are much more about one up rather than helping. Thanks again and please keep it up :)

Can I just point out a minor matter.

Location?

If these vids are from the States/Canada/South America, Finland and all the rest of the planet with good weather then it DOES make a serious difference.

Our bees are often times weather grumpy. Please note the often. Scottish ones are rather notorious... LOL

PH

aaaarghhhh
Norton I know you are legend but.............
So much smoke and you put that frame with your queen on the ground propped up next to the hive.
I am astounded.

Yes I know - dreadful beekeeping procedure - maybe I'm a lousy beekeeper - the question is where did you want me to put the frame? And as you couldn't pick it up on the take - the frame was checked if the queen was present before being returned to the hive, but as it only took a split second to do you didn't notice it.
Best regards
Norton
"Time is honey"

My favourite Youtube bee video has to be....

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vea3lVHeaGE[/ame]

These guys have no idea what they're doing. Zero PPE and no knowledge of bees. Wonder how long that package survived...

Hi had not seen that one on you tube but for a beginner I must admit these vidoes actually put me off bees but I with great advice here and from others I am getting really into it. I have set out my little changing area where I keep my stuff so I am always covered. Getting my routine sorted really helps only 5 weeks ago opened my frst bees which was super scary to last inspection where knowing well protected can be super calm. Again thanks for all your feedback it is nice to know that I am not alone in wanting to keep bees yet not really wanting to get stung too often. :)
May I say also that this forum is very constructive from most of what I have read unlike a couple of poultry ones that are much more about one up rather than helping. Thanks again and please keep it up :)

Hi Pandtpoultry. Where are you from? It's a good idea to put your region rather than just UK, it helps when people are giving advice.

You sound just like me! I was terrified of bees and being stung ( not that I've ever been stung lol ) and visited my first hive on the 1st July. I am part of a project bringing bees to my childrens school. We have our bees and our mentor will be supervising us for our first year, but the others don't mind inspecting without protection, whereas I insist. I went to on apiary that they started inspecting while no-one wore protection ( see my pics ) and while I was getting suited up the inspection was done. As I finished and walked up to take a look, they were putting the roof back on and closing :( Seems some people don't wany to wait for those of us who take time to make sure we are safe. Don't let that bother you. Everyone on here supports me in wanting to be safe and fully suited. I have been given such good advice, my bee keeping kit now consists of anti histamine tabs ( and liquid as my little ones play in the nearby school grounds while I inspect so if they get stung they can't take tabs ) elastic bands to tighten cuffs, fully charged mobile just in case as some of us have never been stung before, inhaler as I am asthmatic and I've been told stings can excacerbate it. I will always make sure I am not alone when inspecting, even if it's just someone within shouting distance. I also wear a cap under the hood as the hood material touched the scalp, and double clothes. Some of the others I am involved with think I go OTT, but if the bees get a cobb on, then I will be fine and lets see who's OTT then ;)

If it makes you comfortable then keep well covered. It makes sense. They are not fluffy, trainable creatures, and things can go wrong. Anyway, I think bee keepers dressed in full suits look well impressive! :D

Karen

Latest posts

Back