Yorkshire Perone hive build

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Norf Bee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello chaps
I do not have a single bee in my ownership
I do not have time to do beekeeping unless I can make serious money with it
But I read about beekeeping and watched many videos in bed late at night
I would like to have a hive or two but in a way that does not require maintenance
Skep or log beekeeping looks interesting
I read about Perone hive and this seems to be easy way out of any obligation while having some chance of honey
My hive plan is Perone hive with top bars in brood chamber, two opposite walls removable with glass panes to make it into observation hive, custom frames in supers without foundation just to make it a little bit easier with poor access
As for bees I plan to set maybe 4 swarm traps semi locally and try to catch wild swarm that will have good chance of survival without any meddling
Any thoughts?
Is glass acceptable or would perspex be better?
It will be covered by thick wood so I think it shouldn't compromise thermal insulation.
I can make second layer WBC style, putting it on and taking it off once a year is acceptable amount of work.
But since snow is rather rare I don't think that would be necessary
We get some heavy winds here , hive would be situated in sheltered spot but almost on top of a hill
I got a position that will let it catch early sun but later it will be shaded

My sister has geckos, quite boring creatures
I don't plan to watch bees, I want to get some honey every now and again and maybe teach kids about them
Only purpose of making it observation hive is so I can inspect them easily without suiting up

My sister has geckos, quite boring creatures
I don't plan to watch bees, I want to get some honey every now and again and maybe teach kids about them
Only purpose of making it observation hive is so I can inspect them easily without suiting up

Are you sending us up Mr Norf Bee?

If you are serious about constructing a golden ratio hive google Making-a-Perone-Hive.pdf (------------)
On the other hand either the Layens or Warre offer a simpler solution.

Last edited:
If you are serious about constructing a golden ratio hive google Making-a-Perone-Hive.pdf (------------)
On the other hand either the Layens or Warre offer a simpler solution.

I think we are talking to an internet bot?

I'm less interested in golden ratio mumbo jumbo and more in super colony that will function without me being involved.
I want have a peak inside without suiting up hence 2 glass walls and get some honey every now and again.
Regular beekeeping ain't for me.
I also considered horizontal hive but they seem to be more demanding.

I can hear the key turning from here! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I'm less interested in golden ratio mumbo jumbo and more in super colony that will function without me being involved.
I want have a peak inside without suiting up hence 2 glass walls and get some honey every now and again.
Regular beekeeping ain't for me.
I also considered horizontal hive but they seem to be more demanding.

Forget it for now !
Buy a book on bees and digest the contents .
There are obligations when keeping honey bees . Disease detection/ control being a major one .
There are notifiable diseases which could be festering away without you having a clue !
This could spread rapidly throughout the district , causing havoc as American foul brood is treated by incinerating all bees , honey, frames . Quilts etc and scorching the hives . Your idea is best left as an idea !
I may sound harsh but is none the less sound advice!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

“Regular beekeeping ain't for me.”........whilst regular beekeeping may not be for you it will give you a far better idea what’s going on than a half arsed hive/scheme, however well intentioned carried out with little or no background experience/knowledge. Just being honest!!! And for the record many a boring regular beekeeper has a few pet projects, random wonder hives and more than a few strange or wonderful ideas!

No, I read the OP as a knowledgeable provocateur who is merely determined to extract the Michael, seeking to bait and disrupt – is that trolling?

Me thinks he has caught a few fish... swallowed hook line and sinker......

just a bit of off season fun ?

Chons da

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back