Yippee - First meeting with Shropshire BKA - what questions should I ask??!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toffeesmum

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hello again all, I'm rather excited as I plan to attend my first BKA meeting this evening in Shrewsbury with the Shropshire BKA. As I mentioned in my last thread, we've planned to take up bee-keeping for more years than I can remember and this year we are finally doing something about it!! I (and hopefully we) will be attending a bee-keeping theory course in March, then we'll see how things progress.

Anyway, my question to you today is... at tonight's meeting I am hoping to 'network' with experienced bee-keepers... so, what questions would you suggest at this early stage in my interest/knowledge i.e. local hives types used (see I did read all your helpful comments from my last thread!) etc etc

I will take my questions along!!!

Thank you in anticipation.

:sos:

Local association meetings aren't really the best place to get information about bees and beekeeping - books and the internet are good for that! What you really want to get out of a first meeting is to work out who's who and hopefully identify some friendly, helpful, knowledgeable and local beekeepers who might be able to provide help and advice in the future.

Asking what hive types people use seems very sensible. There's a lot to be said for using the same kit as other local beekeepers, and it's a good conversation starter! Could also find out whether your association has a library and whether anyone can recommend or lend any books.

I'm guessing that the 'meeting' will be a talk, with a question and answer session at the end, so you won't have much of a chance to ask any questions unless you can find somebody to talk to during the tea or coffee break.

Some club websites contain quite a lot of local information, as well as old newsletters, so it could be worth taking a look.

The best thing is just to gradually establish a small network of beekeeping friends that you can bounce things off whenever you need to. Even other novices will be great moral support.

Usually helps to spend more time listening than talking. If there's any chance for an informal chat over coffee break or whatever, most beekeepers will happily chat about what they use.

Ask if they have a mentorship scheme. A good mentor will carry you through those little crises that can be a tad daunting in the first year. Choose your mentor carefully - generally easily identified by curious beekeepers hanging on to their every word!

Don't go in with fixed opinions on how you want to approach beekeeping. You will get much more out of simply introducing yourself and asking about local hive types, activities organised by the association, support for beginners, and finding other beginners local to you.

If you are going through knighton from one of your homes to the other let me know. You can always come with me while I look through my bees, later in the year of course! Bring your own suits!
E

Ask if they have a mentorship scheme. A good mentor will carry you through those little crises that can be a tad daunting in the first year. Choose your mentor carefully - generally easily identified by curious beekeepers hanging on to their every word!

Yes.
Network and find out who is knowledgable, friendly and local to you. Two out of three isn't bad! :)

Listen and sort out who is who.

Thank you all, I'll let you know tomorrow how it goes!! Will have to go alone as 'him indoors' away with work, but I'll absorb as much as I can!!

ENRICO - yes yes yes (please), go straight through Knighton (turn up hill at junction with Harry Tuffins) most weeks between Telford and Rhandirmwyn. So once timing is right and we've got suits, then I'll drop you a note. THANK YOU!

I started my course a complete novice, i did not know a crown board from a entrance block, my advice is don't run until you can walk, digest what they teach you, take notes and ask questions if you don't understand (most important!), Do your homework and when you have finished your course then decide if it's what you want to do, so many new beekeepers jump in two feet first and end up finding that it is not for them. Beekeeping meetings tend to be for members and you might find it a bit clicky to start with because know one knows you but your course will be with people like you and more enjoyable

Latest posts

Back