Yet more Queen cells!!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E1M

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Oh dear, whatever can the matter bee?

One of our colonies swarmed a few weeks back, we did try to recover them which worked, after a fashion. However, in the meantime we had a few Queen cells left in the hive so we knocked all but two back. Leaving only one open, with larvae and one capped.

Checked briefly after a week or so all seemed ok, then today, after 3 weeks we went in.

What are they up to? Lots of larvae, lots of stores, lots more Queen cells, and, we couldn't see the Queen.

What does the team think? Will they swarm again, will they stay, have they killed off the new Queen for some reason?

Just a question, no arguments wanted.

:boxing_smiley:

sounds like they don't like the new queen for some reason. Same has happened to me before. Lovely looking new queen with good brood pattern but they kept making queencells even though it was late in the season. You could find the queen and create a nuc with her while waiting to see if they raise an acceptable queen from the best looking QC.

That sounds like a good possibility. Thanks thedaidai.

What are they up to? Lots of larvae, lots of stores, lots more Queen cells, and, we couldn't see the Queen.

I predict a swarm. And, left to their own devices, maybe a cast or two.
I doubt there's much laying space - totally empty cells.

Latest posts

Back