Yesterday's Hansard Report on Bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its actually well worth the read also take a look at

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld200809/ldhansrd/text/90521-0008.htm#09052141000559

which is Lord Moynahans or however its spelts opening submission.

For the benefit of those who really dont want to read through it though.

Along with British Beekeepers’ Association I welcome the announcement, but I am concerned about three key issues. First, can the Minister provide assurance that the £10 million, while welcome, will not be watered down with myriad small and unco-ordinated research grants covering a wide range of the thousands of insects which, to varying degrees, can be termed pollinators? It is clear to those of us interested in the subject that research into the honey bee must take priority and the lion’s share of the funding. Even then, it is doubtful that the decline in bee populations will be managed without a further increase in funding.

Secondly, can the Minister ensure that the funding committee which will oversee the research acts quickly and co-ordinates effectively? Thirdly, can the Minister assure the House that the funding committee will be constituted of experts, with at least one member of it as an expert in the honey bee?

With the permission of the House, I should like to address these issues in greater detail. I believe that the main need is for further research and action in the following general areas: what is killing beehives; how to keep our beehives alive and healthy, including control of the varroa; and how to reverse the decline in hive numbers. At the moment it is unclear how the £10 million will be allocated. It may be helpful if the beekeepers, probably a representative of the BBKA—the British Beekeepers’ Association—were on the funding committee. I am hoping that a good share of the funding will go to the honey bee and that university researchers will be allowed to apply.

I am not sure what the timescale of this will be but I am concerned. In my experience it is likely to be something like this. First, there will be a call for proposals in a few months, after deliberations by funding bodies on priorities and so on. As there are six funding bodies, it may take longer. There will be a deadline for proposals to be submitted to funders. Probably at least three months is needed to allow researchers to do this. Then there will be a review of proposals. This can take up to six months, but must surely be speeded up in this case. As we can see, this process will likely take a year, and then the projects that are funded can be started. Again, it normally takes at least three months, and potentially more, to

21 May 2009 : Column 1479

get a project rolling as it involves hiring researchers. In any event, it may well be the summer of 2010 before this money generates action. That timetable is, in my view—and I hope the view of the Minister—unacceptable.

I have a suggestion: I would be grateful if the Minister could look to fund existing projects as well, but only existing projects on a fast track which fully match the stated interests of Defra, which recently wrote a report, and the National Audit Office, which recently undertook an audit on bee health. In Healthy Bees: Protecting and Improving the Health of Honey Bees in England and Wales, Defra stated that:

“The plan describes the five main things we want to achieve working with, individual beekeepers, their associations and other stakeholders. These are: To keep pests, diseases and other hazards to the lowest levels achievable; To promote good standards of husbandry to minimise pest and diseases risks and contribute to sustaining honey bee populations—prevention is better than cure; To encourage effective biosecurity to minimise risks from pests, diseases and an undesirable species; To ensure that sound science underpins bee health policy and its implementation; and ... To get everyone to work together on bee health”.

As the right honorable gentlemen says they need a BBKA rep on the committee,after all the BBKA can always be trusted to disseminate information when it comes to funding.

first things first see if you can find an honourable gentleman at the BBKA

You can bet your bottom dollar that some things won't be researched,like one of the most obvious things that kills bee's.Defra,bbka,government will make sure of that,too much money at stake.

Last edited:
Herrumph........ far be it from me to carp when dodgy politicians rear their ugly heads, duck houses, or dodgy relationships with those from the British Beekiller's Association.........BUT, it would appear that yet again, while most of the rest of the country is going "shock, horror, probe" at pompous arses in the commons who's "homes look like Balmoral", they're missing FAR worse goings-on in the upper house........ Where to start? - well ,there's the two lords, Truscott, and one who's a refugee from a home for the partially bewildered have been slapped on the wrist, and told they can't use the official premises for a few weeks for accepting brown envelopes......(which in my humble opinion should be "heads on pikes at traitor's gate" job)........
Then we have this little gem of weasellisms - BBKA - who they? - a totally discredited coterie of suits who nominally represent around 25% of the country's beekeepers....... why on earth consult them about anything? -
You couldn't make this up........... "what is killing beehives; how to keep our beehives alive and healthy, including control of the varroa; and how to reverse the decline in hive numbers" (sic) - would someone like to tell the prannet that beehives are inanimate objects?:)
Then the sound of none-too-muffled jackboots - to paraphrase - "and to ensure the continuing stranglehold of our friends in the chemical industries, we will institute a registration programme, shortly after followed by compulsory medication of all hives nationwide - this to be overseen by Defra and the British Beekiller's Association (when we get back off our Bayer-sponsored "incentivisation" junkets)
And not a mention of "icides" at all......... quel surprise! (kerrrrching!)

Don't hold back Brosville, let it all out!

G.

Being a member of BBKA, I realise perfection is far from evident in the structure and day to day running thereof :svengo:.
However your vociferous harangues help not one jot !.
They only prove how easy it is to rant! over state! replace facts with speculation and downright untruths :ack2:.
If you want to make a difference then stop knocking/start doing !
Start from within by joining the hateful BBKA, or start a rival society with a constitution framed to suit your particular criteria :).

The reason I stepped in at this moment is because the venting of your spleen without any really helpful suggestions is beginning to pall a little.

John Wilkinson

I am a member John,and like most members I pay my subs every year but dont go within a million miles of the local club.

I could start from the bottom and try to make changes but my main fear of climbing the greasy pole is I am afraid of air travel,buffet food and expensis sheets.

Can you really defend a committee that not only defends a possible link(Chemicals) to the decline of bees in the uk but is also very happy to take money from the companies ?

Maybe my spleen could rest if the BBKA had an open vote with one member one vote regards taking the Bayer,Monsanto etc money rather than the hush hush style vote they have just had.

The voting system is about as open and non corrupt as an mp's expensis claims.

I fully understand the "work from inside for change" argument, but there are limits! - I certainly wouldn't join the BBKA all the while it retains it's chemical company connections, any more than I'd join the BNP!
We'll have to agree to differ on the validity of my "harangues" - I am of the impression that there are far too many people who by default have become set in their ways and "laissez faire" regarding the BBKA executive - "anything for a quiet life, mustn't rock the boat, can't do anything for three years" are things I've heard when referring to them.
Utter, utter cobblers! - "All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing" - the time has come (if not long past) that the deeply discredited executive should be swept from office, and a root and branch disinfection carried out.
I may only be a "newbie", but I do happen to care passionately about all life on earth, particularly bees - we do not have time to waste in our efforts to save them......... anything else than a complete and swift revolution is "Chamberlainism"

chamberlain3.jpg

Well as a matter of fact I buttonholed the chairman at Stoneleigh and had a very interesting fifteen minutes discussion with him.

I made it very clear that the voting system was a poor joke and undemocratic.
I compared it to the SBA where there is a show of hands and if members are serious about a vote that is coming up they can mail in their vote for it.

He is very aware that there is very serious disquiet at the chemical company matter and knows that a very substantial number of members in not in fact a majority disapprove. I am not putting words in the mans mouth but I was left with the distinct impression that this matter is to wither on the vine so to speak.

As for the influence on the BBKA well....... I hear that they are of very little clout in official circles. Oh they are invited to the meetings and so on and given the impression they have influence, and are then disregarded.

PH

I am a member John,and like most members I pay my subs every year but dont go within a million miles of the local club.

I could start from the bottom and try to make changes but my main fear of climbing the greasy pole is I am afraid of air travel,buffet food and expensis sheets.

Can you really defend a committee that not only defends a possible link(Chemicals) to the decline of bees in the uk but is also very happy to take money from the companies ?

Maybe my spleen could rest if the BBKA had an open vote with one member one vote regards taking the Bayer,Monsanto etc money rather than the hush hush style vote they have just had.

The voting system is about as open and non corrupt as an mp's expensis claims.
Hi admin,
I fear my arrow hit the wrong target :confused:.
Reasoned challenge is to the good of any organisation ?
I don't defend the 'committee' on it's sponsorship polices.
and I know delegates that voted agin such sponsorship, neither do I accept the argument that one has to climb in bed with ones enemies in order to influence their thinking.
However, to make wild statements that the BBKA,is a corrupt body , really is below the belt as such an all inclusive statement includes me :( ! and thousands of other beekeepers nation wide . Beekeepers who have benefited from membership, promoted beekeeping in their local areas, been involved in spray committes, swarm collecting , teaching newbies, mentoring, organising honey shows ,so that the stadards of presentation of honey to the public are maintained !. Are these beekeepers corrupt ? No indeed not , they are the backbone of the BBKA and represent all honest down to earth graft that allows a society to continue doing vital work.
Please think for a moment before lashing out in all directions that your arrow maybe hitting the wrong target :)

Respectfully John Wilkinson.
Ps The word graft used means damned hard work in this context !

I fully understand the "work from inside for change" argument, but there are limits! - I certainly wouldn't join the BBKA all the while it retains it's chemical company connections, any more than I'd join the BNP!
We'll have to agree to differ on the validity of my "harangues" - I am of the impression that there are far too many people who by default have become set in their ways and "laissez faire" regarding the BBKA executive - "anything for a quiet life, mustn't rock the boat, can't do anything for three years" are things I've heard when referring to them.
Utter, utter cobblers! - "All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing" - the time has come (if not long past) that the deeply discredited executive should be swept from office, and a root and branch disinfection carried out.
I may only be a "newbie", but I do happen to care passionately about all life on earth, particularly bees - we do not have time to waste in our efforts to save them......... anything else than a complete and swift revolution is "Chamberlainism"

chamberlain3.jpg

I rest my case ,you are indeed sir "A Troll"

I have feeling that someone has totally missed the point - I have the greatest respect for all those people who have done, and continue to do sterling work, particularly at grass-roots level - I'm actually on the verge of going off to spend the afternoon with some extremely good people from a "local" association - what I'm incandescent about is that a great body of good people have been misled, bamboozled and led up the garden path, and their good name and reputation has by definition been tarred by the same brush as those who choose to "lead" them
- if you choose to sit back and be complacent, that is your choice, but please don't tell me to "keep my trap shut"
I would have thought that " a point of principle" would mean something to a member of a generation that experienced a world war - I grew up with that firmly instilled into me - "as a point of principle" I could never become a member of an organisation that is so clearly "wrong" - my beef is with the "suits", not the rank and file members, (save the wish to do a bit of lapel-grabbing and yelling "wakey wakey"):)

I am fed up of reading this inflaminatory clap trap. You are a troll Brosville. Further you are now descending to the rude and insulting.

I seriously suggest you toddle off and learn some beekeeping and manners.

Admin? Is it possible to put people on ignore so that their postings are invisible?

PH

hi guys
I have been out of bee keeping for about fifteen years, and now I have started started again I have a renewed thirst for information, a lot has changed in that time. I joined this forum and at the same time I joined the BBka forum for about one hour, I received an email telling me I was not a suitable member for their forum. I gave the same information to both forums, they had a question for bbka member number, I am a member of the scotish bka so couldnt give one. In the old days a beekeeper either new or an old hand was welcomed not it appears today. I am greatful to your forum for letting me join, your post are proving very useful, I am afraid I will never now have a good word for the bkka.
regards rourkie

Hi laddie :).
you are welcome on the other forum.:ack2:

What requires membership ,is the members area only, nothing sinister just that there are free down loads "Swarm control , bbka leaflets etc".
I am not promoting the other forum in anyway, merely pointing out that access and posting rights are not barred :cheers2:.
John Wilkinson

I am fed up of reading this inflaminatory clap trap. You are a troll Brosville. Further you are now descending to the rude and insulting.

I seriously suggest you toddle off and learn some beekeeping and manners.

Admin? Is it possible to put people on ignore so that their postings are invisible?

PH
Hi Pete, easy ,go to user cp click on ignore list (left hand side towards the bottom) and enter name of who ever you wish to ignore, click ok and then click save changes :grouphug:.

John Wilkinson

Latest posts

Back