Yellow rain - carpet bombing Dresden style

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hombre

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Ten
Just over a month ago. I arrived at an out apiary to be met by my host who enquired delicately if bees defecated?

They certainly do, it's known by some as yellow rain . . .

His face and tone were very serious and he enquired if what was on these two cars might be bee poo? He also explained that the two cars had been washed on the Friday afternoon; this was Sunday afternoon. They weren't his cars, but those of his neighbours. He was patently concerned, as was I.

I have to explain at this point that the car I was looking at was supposed to be charcoal grey. It had a patina of dust, which was explained as possibly being from the busy road the other side of the wall/leylandi hedge and it was an utter bomb site. Bomber Harris must have directed that lot I thought to myself and couldn't quite figure why the bees should fly over the walled garden and over my hosts van which was spotless despite having been last washed about three months ago.

The next week I arrived just as my host and his neighbour were going out in said car for a pint at the pub. I apologised for the mess, but the neighbour said not to worry, the problem had been totally resolved.

Being a meticulous sort, he clears up after himself rather well. He explained that on the Saturday he had been up a ladder and clipped the inside of the 15ft leylandi hedge and put the cars back.

The bees had obviously found the sap decided that it was party time. With part of their carrying capacity being taken up with crap, they obviously decided that this wasn't a flow to be given up on lightly and dumped their loads on the unfortunate car below/ The dust must have been caused by the disturbance of clipping the foliage and settled out of the air after the cars were put back.

The really sad bit is that I wasn't able to take a picture of the car. I have never seen so much bee **** in one place in all my life. Dresden, eat your heart out.

It reminds me of the poster earlier this year who was forced to move his hives due to neighbour pressure because of yellow rain on their cars in the early spring (before there were any decent nectar flows). I can see them all in my minds eye just now, out taking it in turns to clip their hedges to provoke the bees and strengthen their case.

So now you know. I did explain at one point that with a bit of buffing then the car could have been the shinyest yellow speckled car in Britain. :party:

Last edited:
One of my neighbours informed me that the cars at the other side of the wall from where my hives are were getting "poo'd" on. She said it was annoying more than anything.... Not been happening for long,,, started in warm weather after the cold snap halfway thro October. No problems earlier in the year so I put this down to the fact that they hadnt been out much.

I bought her and the woman next to her a tin of Quality Street each... They both said there was no need bu they didnt give them back..... Keeps people happy.. Now, if it had been the neighbour across the road I would have chucked a jar of syrup over her wall...

My bees had flown some 25m and over a wall and another vehicle before doing their business. The inference being that it was the immediate prospect of foraging that caused such a consistent depositing ground. I don't suppose that there is a hedge against one side of the wall at all Dishmop?

All understood about the non-return of the toffees and you're right about just keeping people on side and happy. Shame about the other neighbour.

Do you think that the clue might be that it is when there isn't a diverse nectar supply that they begin to visit the same place where there is available forage perhaps?

Fortunately I'm blessed with good neighbours.

I don't suppose that there is a hedge against one side of the wall at all Dishmop?
Nope. Just a wall topped with fencing to a height of 2 mtr I suppose.

When the cars are nosed up to the outside of the wall they are only 3ft from hives.

Just wait until the bees have been confined for a week or two....and even more interesting after 6 weeks....

Stinging is not the only issue to cause problems between neighbours, and her bonny white sheets are in the wind..... turning an interesting colour as the girls void in passing, as they do on white....

There is a lot to be said for NOT keeping bees near neighbours.... but then what do I know. LOL

PH

Is the reply to that "Ditto"

or "Dotto"

????????:patriot:

Latest posts

Back