Yellow Legged Hornets

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have spent a bit of time there, you can watch the AHs hawking, then at a point the hive roars (i assume in distress) within a day or two it will be dead.
Do you know the actual cause of such sudden death? Presumably can't be starvation from not going out or direct predation from the hornets.

This roaring business makes me think of overheating but I don't really see how this fits the situation

This roaring business makes me think of overheating but I don't really see how this fits the situation
If the bees are “penned” in by the hornets and not able to collect water they may not be able to cool the hive very efficiently.

The presentation by Andrew Durham covers it all far better than i could, see above on youtube.
Really haven't the time at present. I will definitely watch it but had hoped for a simple explanation in the meantime.

My neighbour gave me a cutting from a Daily Express about Asain Hornets yesterday. The content was similar to the Telegraph earlier in the week and once again showed a picture of a European Hornet labeled as an Asain Hornet.
I e-mailed them pointing out this stupid error but have not yet received a response.

The presentation by Andrew Durham covers it all far better than i could, see above on youtube.
Finally got to watch the video, interesting in parts for sure but it doesn't answer the specific question I asked regards the cause of the folkeston colony losses. I'm not questioning the truth just trying to get a grip on the facts. If the hornets get established anywhere in the UK, and I personally think that they probably will, then it's a fair assumption that I'll be deep in their territory so I'm interested in any real life experience that can be offered but I'm at a loss as to the apparent secrecy regarding the specifics.

Did the colonies stress and overheat, did they abscond, starve or was there another reason altogether, perhaps colonies succumbed in different ways?

Finally got to watch the video, interesting in parts for sure but it doesn't answer the specific question I asked regards the cause of the folkeston colony losses. I'm not questioning the truth just trying to get a grip on the facts. If the hornets get established anywhere in the UK, and I personally think that they probably will, then it's a fair assumption that I'll be deep in their territory so I'm interested in any real life experience that can be offered but I'm at a loss as to the apparent secrecy regarding the specifics.

Did the colonies stress and overheat, did they abscond, starve or was there another reason altogether, perhaps colonies succumbed in different ways?
Confirman el papel de la avispa asiática en el declive de las abejas :~:text=The%20wasp%20asi%C3%A1tica%20limits%20its own%20bees%20and%20other%20species.
Take a look and after putting together several loose sentences it is clear that in September there is a clear bottleneck that can be deadly.

Confirman el papel de la avispa asiática en el declive de las abejas :~:text=The%20wasp%20asi%C3%A1tica%20limits%20its own%20bees%20and%20other%20species.
Take a look and after putting together several loose sentences it is clear that in September there is a clear bottleneck that can be deadly.
Better still, let him give me the *specifics* that I've asked for. I can read and watch hundreds of items and come to my own conclusions but in this instance I want facts, not what I think might have happened.

The discovery of nests seems to have significantly increased in pace over the last couple of weeks from looking at the NBU rolling updates. Still mostly in coastal locations and clustered around ports, by the looks of it, but there are a few that are more inland. Those appear to be clustered around roads such as the M2 and M25. Perhaps it should be expected that nests may be found in proximity to the major traffic routes if the queens are being brought over in freight?

James

Jeremy Vine
Get it on catch up.
Simon Spratley on
He appears to be having a lot of difficulty with wasps which he attributes to the hornets weakening the colonies so I think I have the answer to my earlier question.

Latest posts

Back