yellow bee

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark s

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
16 + 3nuc's
morning all
my bees were out in force this morning and managed to get a pic of this yellow one:)

DSC00105.jpg

DSC00104.jpg

sorry for the bluriness camera phone

Last edited:
they have certainly found something interesting this morning as they are bringing bright yellow pollen back by the sack full,loads of foragers comming back almost completely yellow in colour:)

Could be willow. I seem to recall them getting messy when working that.

G.

Could be willow. I seem to recall them getting messy when working that.

G.

I think your right, I would guess willow too.

LOL - talk about getting stuck in the honey pot ! That bee needs a clean !

Great that they have found such a source though - I wonder if they are able to utilise the pollen grains on the bee ?

S

I suspect that they do. When you see bees like this going in (from willow or rape for example) you don't see messy ones coming out. Presumably they clean up in the usual way - basically having a rub-down and scraping the pollen into lumps that get passed back to the hind legs. When they have it between the back legs they have a choice - drop it, or work it through onto the corbiculae. You don't usually see lots of pollen dropped onto the floor (there is some though), so maybe they make pellets in the usual way and that also ends up stored in the right cells.

ive just found the source i think my neighbour 4 doors down just came in and said his tree was covered in honey bees,went and had a look and found that there were quite a few bees on this not sure wot its called though

DSC00109.jpg

ive just found the source i think my neighbour 4 doors down just came in and said his tree was covered in honey bees,went and had a look and found that there were quite a few bees on this not sure wot its called though

DSC00109.jpg
#

The tree has a couple of names:

Acacia dealabata

Mimosa

Silver Wattle tree

Depending on how warm it is flowers Jan through to April likes a city garden , not realy a open coutryside tree likes a bit of warmth , gets smotherd in flowers.

Grub

thanks grub
just been up and down some of my streets and there are several of these about all being worked by loads of bees

Just had a decko in my tree book and yep its a wattle. Sydney Golden Wattle Acacia longifolia.
You lucky beggar nice one!

Hey Grub would you do me a favour please? Pop some pollen into an envelope and post it to me as I collect pollen and that's one type I do not have, pretty please.

Last edited:
Just had a decko in my tree book and yep its a wattle. Sydney Golden Wattle Acacia longifolia.
You lucky beggar nice one!

Hey Grub would you do me a favour please? Pop some pollen into an envelope and post it to me as I collect pollen and that's one type I do not have, pretty please.
Not my tree and if it was would be dead after this winter in South Wales , so ask Mark S Isle of White nice and warm ,
what do they call pollen collectors ?? no jokes please ok if you must.
Also it might be Acacia Retinodes very similar to the longifolia with long narrow leaves originaly found in Australia.
Yes I am on a garden forum as well

Grub

Last edited:
Yup, Mimosa, There are a few of these trees near me and the yellow pollen comes in late Feb/early March.

All the Best, Enzo

:cheers2::cheers2:
I think the terminology for wallies like me is polynologist.:coolgleamA:

Hi its A not a O "paly" just had a look on wiki very intresting

just had another look you can be a poly as well !!! life is so confusing. Why cant you collect stamps insread of confusing me

We are such a eclectic bunch on here

Grub

Last edited:
In Hungary where my partner is from, there is lots of honey from bees which forage almost completely on acacia- it is very pale but has a nice taste.

hope to meet the beekeeper again I met there before when we go back next week for Easter.

Chris

I was sent some Golden Willow Salixpentabdra pollen as shown in the picture of the bee covered in it.

Here are a couple of shots of the individual pollen grains

Latest posts

Back