Yacht Varnish

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haughton Honey

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Lots of Commercial hives.......
I'm intrigued to know if anyone uses straightforward yacht varnish on their crown boards, dummy boards, frame feeders....or any other pine bits and pieces?

If so, what type/brand do you use and how long do you leave it before putting the aforementioned items to use after painting?

I don't use anything on the crown boards or other internal bits and pieces because I run a blowtorch over them after use:)

Ronseal "DiamondHard" Floor Varnish, does what is says on the tin!! Scuff and scratch, water and chemical resistant. It's a lot lighter than yacht varnish so it soaks in very well.

Two coats, a couple of hours between coats, leave for 48 hours then a light sand and third coat. As it's water based it's easy to clean brushes and the bees are happy with them 48 hours after final coat. The parts I varnished two years ago came up clean with warm soda crystals and a green dish scrubber, then when dry a light sand and a light coat of varnish if needed and they look like new.

Yes I know it sound a lot of work but IMHO it's worth it when they don't seem to get so stuck together and there is no after smell of burning.

Mike.

I have seen some of DulwichGnome's varnish work and admit to commenting at the time what a cracking job he does :cheers2:

I was very envious.

Can this varnish be used to seal a feeder. Makeing some ashworth types and need the experts view on what to paint the inside with. Will this ronseal product suffice or is there a suitable White paint.

Latest posts

Back