xmas lull

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All stuck in the snow...:auto: cant get home....

Hi DR S,
:nature-smiley-12:
not out shopping but chopping wood as the oil supplies have not arrived. Could be a little chilly over Christmas in our house unless it arrives today.
Cazza

xmas prep

can't believe how UK can't prepare for winter!!!!

our LPG (1600 litres) was delivered early august (prices lowest in summer) and wood (2.4 tonnes) in early september.

our LPG (1600 litres) was delivered early august (prices lowest in summer) and wood (2.4 tonnes) in early september.

Bees manage it, and they've only got tiny brains!

thats the one thing i realy miss from living in mid wales was our wood burners, its not christmas without the smell of burning oak logs.

we used to have to have two weeks food stored at anyone time because of getting snowed in and logs and pallet timber, mainly pallet timber we would have several tons of it at anyone time.

we used to have 200 litres of diesel for the emergancy back up genny as well as spare gas cylinders in case .

now we live in a mid terrace rabbit hutch in brum with no chimney of any form as the owners ripped it out, what a shame

DRS - that's a heck of alot of firewood - were you roasting oxen every day ? I am also on LPG and filled the tank back in Sept - similar price as oil but far more efficient IMHO !

For my Xmas prep, all is complete and the turkey was in the oven last night timed to come on at 6 am this morning (24th) as I have my boys today and the rest of the family are coming over to help clear up the scraps this evening.

Don't laugh, but I ordered a 3kg turkey, enough for 6 people from a chap at work who's grandfather owns an abbatoir in Wales. £20, I thought great, saves me the trouble..
...and he turns up with one that is 7.6kg, same price, it's the size of an Ostrich and serves 20-30. The lights have dimmed in the village as my cooker tries to cook the damn thing !

Oh, more turkey tomorrow too, and Sunday....oh for some roast beef , or ham !

Happy Christmas !

S

I remember that our coalshed was always filled up in the summer...

Our tank is small so we can only order fuel just before it's empty - we ordered back in November BUT Mr Oily arrived this morning so I am currently toasty and warm.:party:

Wood stores are cut down through the year and chopped in small amounts to give me some winter exercise!

Happy Christmas

Cazza

you know what i'm gonna say don't you?

get another tank or two.

we have three gas tanks now - actually i miss stated earlier - we had 2000 litres delivered in august.

Managed to get our oil in before the cold snap at a reasonable price. I can't believe the price has doubled in less than a month.

Woke up this morning with a small lake in the kitchen. The water jacket on the boiler had sprung a leak. Why now?? :cuss::cuss:

Managed to get our oil in before the cold snap at a reasonable price. I can't believe the price has doubled in less than a month.

Woke up this morning with a small lake in the kitchen. The water jacket on the boiler had sprung a leak. Why now?? :cuss::cuss:
At least you have water ours is frozen solid. has been for days

Oil prices are at a silly level at the moment,pleased we use all timber for fires and heating boilers,and its about as free as you can get.

Who's she?LoL
(Flu!)

Last edited:
you know what i'm gonna say don't you?

get another tank or two.

we have three gas tanks now - actually i miss stated earlier - we had 2000 litres delivered in august.

That's the logical answer but unfortunately there's not enough room, otherwise it would have been done.
Touche!
C

We have one wood burning boiler that heat a very old farm house and burns about half a ton of wood a week.
During the summer we take out dead trees from the fields and cut them up ready for winter.
Plus, with living in the middle of a large forest, there are always trees blowing or falling, due to the weight of snow in to the roads, so I hitch them up and drag them home for fire wood. Free is good!

Brian.

You need one of these...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmM-M3z-_Bw[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMaOLCS9Vlg&NR=1[/ame]

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back