Wrapping and feeding

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colinlyne

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
To wrap or not to wrap. I live in North Yorkshire, comments please. Also, where is the best place for fondant, over the crown board or directly over the frames. I lost my two colonies last year, and I believe that it was starvation! Thank you for your help.

If the fondant is the main feed instead of syrup then one wants it in as near direct contact to the bees as poss, so under the CB in an eke. Place a slab of PIR above the CB or in the eke if it is a deep eke. For main feed with fondant we are talking usually tens of lbs or kg's of fondant or a whole case not just the paltry small amount that I here some talk about at the LBKA.
A small take way tub over the feed hole is just a treat/present for a full size BB.

Last edited:
Wrapping a colony depends on the whether poly or wood, no for the former and yes for the latter as it will stop some wind chill effect. A snug fitting PIR outer will be of more benefit for wooden hive and one can then remove the roof for winter completely.
Dani has posted many times her pics.

Latest posts

Back