Wow - that was fun!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juststarting

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 hives, 1 nuc
Just got back from inspecting bees.bee-smillie

Did an AS last week - moving queen to nuc with a 3 frames of brood and stores, these are doing well queen although not seen has been laying (new eggs) and bees drawing out new frames of foundation put in. Only a very few foragers but presume more will move to this roll as bees in hive get older and weather improves.

Other hive - queenless is filling and capping super and had made lots of QC many sealed.

Went through and eventually found one with small larva in (next time I'll take a magnifying glass as I found it hard to see through veil, and position didnt make it easy to see in).

I carefully brushed bees from this frame and removed all other QCs sealed and unsealed, marked frame and replaced in hive. Then went through rest of frames, shook bees off and hopefully removed all QC and anything that looked like it might be one!

Seemed to be bees everywhere and although my gloves (double nitrile) took a few hits, none got thru and hive was settled when I left.

Thought I had a couple of followers as I left but wasnt too worried considering what i'd been up to - was a bit more concerned when I took my suit off to find that tey'd been hitching a ride inside my veil, fortunately they didnt seem bothered and hadnt tried to get me! :hat:

Have now investigated and found a small gap in suit where the zips meet at the back of hood. I'll duct tape this up next time.

This was my first major operation with the bees so all in all really pleased - learnt lots.:) My bees seem to be very forgiving nd I just love working with them.

Just need to wait for new queen to hatch, mate and start laying.

Even more pleased now as just had huge clap of thunder and sunden downpour - I'd knew the weather was unsettled but as I'm on holiday later today I couldnt wait till I got back!

Text book, well done!!! You'll make a better beek than me.. : )

Wow, you are so chilled about this! I am new to bee keeping and used to be deathly afraid of anything that buzzed ( long story about why I am now getting into this lol ) I am dreading the first time they try to sting me, but saying that I want to get it over with soon, it's probably not as bad as I imagine it to be.

I will certainly check around the hood when I am near bees next, I've heard people say there had been an entrance around that spot before.

Well done :)

Karen

Back