would my bees be dead of starvation if...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CliffDale

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
A month ago I was going on holiday. Hives doing well with full capped supers on each hive. I added a second super knowing I was going away.

On return all honey gone!

What a disappointment.

If I removed the super before I left, would the bees be dead of starvation now?

Just thinking what to do next year.

Cliff

You have answered your own question by saying on return all honey gone.

Ok Bees starved.

Today I spent half the day mixing 2 to one sugar mix and fed all hives.

I often wondered if the bees are in a suitable position. Looking around, its all farmers fields growing grass. I am planning to move the bees this winter.

Cliff

there must be some lovely spots down there in Cornwall.When
we go camping down there it looks really nice. Reminds us of the island :)

I'd say quite possibly. We're just back after a short fortnight away to find hungry hives and two robbed out nucs. When we left everything (bar wasps) looked fine. The only three hives that were thriving yesterday were a commercial with a super we had left on as it was uncapped, a large nuc which we had been feeding and had eaten it's stores mostly by yesterday, and a large TBH which had thrived unbelievably well by robbing out two other nucs (aided by the wasps) :(.

Today all hives are being fed.

Drove through it.But can't say i remember it. We have spent alot of time down there though. Even got the helicopter to the isles of silly ( is that how you spell it)?

Was it Camborne that had the tanker a few years back that managed to tip chemicals into the fresh water supply turning the locals hair green ?

isles of scilly,we will have to start calling you whitebees :biggrinjester:

Admin,

Was it Camborne that had the tanker a few years back...

Camelford but contaminated water was distributed to a wide area. Aluminium sulphate was the culprit; the Aluminium part. Severe health outcomes for a lot of those that got a serious excess. The population still around now will likely remember it well, or be reminded of it due to the ongoing issues for some. 22 years on, but brain damage etc need not show up for years to come.

Regards, RAB

One reason we use stainless steel or iron cookpots in our house. Stainless steel - chromium is one of the nasty heavy metals? Nevermind, can't win them all!

I was nearly right :) just missed the C

Regards
WightBees :)

Isn't it said that city bees have a better range of forage than country bees as they get variety? I found that quite suprising, as you'd have thought the countryside would be better for any creature wouldn't you. Pretty sure I've read that recently, my memory isn't great again.....missed my meds for 9 days...doh!

We've got both...two hamlets and a village in sensible flying range and woodland/grazing land. But quite a lot of what I hoped they'd be foraging now they seem to be ignoring....huge mint patches (assorted), lavenders, heather, start of the asters. But did see ONE bee on the first autumn sedum!

You can't have visited Camborne then :D where my wifes family come from

Whats wrong with Camborne??? Not where i live but lots of worse places in England, starting with Plymouth. Sorry Devonians, rest of Devon is beautiful tho:.)

Latest posts

Back