Would I experience problems moving unwired hives?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
1 Nat & 1 WBC
Hopefully, in the next year or so, I will be moving house. If I tried to run a few brood boxes on wire free frames, would they break when transporting them? Sorry if it is a silly question. Just trying to plan ahead.

Sally

Ps accidentally put a couple of wire free frames from supers in the extractor and they survived, fully in tact. At least they look fully intact. Is this normal? I was going to cut comb them all but missed these two, hence the error.

They should be fine as long as they are in full frames. I would try and keep them tight by using a dummy board if necessary. It's the weight that surprises you! Ratchet straps are worth their weight in gold!

i dont get problems with unwired frames in the summer but in early spring when its colder the wax is brittle especially on the outer edges of brood chamber and thats when a few collapse on me.

Thank you all.
Greatly appreciated info...ie 1. Strap up using ratchet straps (I us these over winter so will have some spare), 2. Don't open up a few days beforehand to keep it all propolised tight), and 3. Wait for warmer weather, possibly late spring onwards (weather permitting).

Again, thank you

Sally

Jenkinsbrynmair, your dislike if the feline is well documented on this Forum, but this is well out of order!

Dusty

No, it's OK if you beat the cat senseless with a rubber mallet first then it won't feel a thing

Hey Dusty, I saw you behind your veil, on BBCs coverage of Tatton Park flower show. Lovely monogrammed suit ;)

I've had the plastic runners collapse when moving a drawn BB in the trailer - the weight of the frames and the local pot holes.........

At my age, I need the monogram to remind me who I am!
Dusty

:iagree: I've heard that Mrs Dusty has had to remove the labels from his underpants in case he thinks he's the angel of death and the leader of God's army

Thanks Moggett
We have plenty of pot holes here - will be moving them in the back of the estate car rather than a trailer. Hopefully I won't have the same issue with the plastic runners.
Thanks for the tip off

Sally

Sally, I apologise for my extensive fan club taking over your thread.

The cult of celebrity can be a real burden. I know.

Hope you got all the info you needed, Sally.

Love light and peace.

Dusty.

P.S. If you want a signed photo, let me know.

No, it's OK if you beat the cat senseless with a rubber mallet first then it won't feel a thing

Saw a neighbour's scruffy moggy stalking my Sussex Whites when they were out in the garden today, I was upstairs and went hammering down grabbing weapons as I went - got to the backdoor to see the cat being chased by the hens who were making a hell of a racket .. cat clearly outclassed and outnumbered and will probably cross Tikka and Korma off the menu in future. Just as well the dog wasn't in the garden or I'd have been burying the damn thing.

Sorry Warts .... :ot:

Latest posts

Back