Would bees who were robbing settle in the hive if it was empty and they swarmed?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I now have two empty hives which have been robbed. I was just wondering if a swarm would settle in these hives if I left them were they are. I think its wishful thinking as I do have a bait hive which has never been used. I am so optimistic, when I see the hive with the robbers flying in and out I think oh maybe its a swarm but of course its not.
Actually I was wondering if the robbers would swarm and come to one of these hives? I still have no idea where the robbers are coming from. This is the first time in nine years that this has happened so I'm wondering if I have just been lucky or has a new beekeeper moved into the area...

I now have two empty hives which have been robbed. I was just wondering if a swarm would settle in these hives if I left them were they are. I think its wishful thinking as I do have a bait hive which has never been used. I am so optimistic, when I see the hive with the robbers flying in and out I think oh maybe its a swarm but of course its not.
Actually I was wondering if the robbers would swarm and come to one of these hives? I still have no idea where the robbers are coming from. This is the first time in nine years that this has happened so I'm wondering if I have just been lucky or has a new beekeeper moved into the area...

Seal them up ... if you don't the odds are that what will take up residence is wax moth .. and you really can't imagine the mess they will make of your drawn combs.

If you have some Dipel or Certan spray the frames or keep a very close eye out for the tracks of the wax moth grubs and dig them out if you see them. The webs they make the bees can't cope with and your drawn frames are ruined.

If you want a swarm put the oldest brood frame you have in an empty nuc or a container of some sort with a volume of about 40 litres and use that - don't risk all your combs.

See here:

https://ecommons.cornell.edu/bitstr...ves for Honey Bees.pdf?sequence=2&isAllowed=y

Not sure how long your bait hives been in place but if you’ve never had any interest move it and ensure it measures up to the info pargyle gave you. I find full sun the best just FYI.

Thanks for all the replies. I have lemongrass. Am going to go out this afternoon and do a lot of moving about of the hives.

Just finished checking the bait hive I already had and found what I think was wax moth but only in one or two cells which I have now cleared out. However it and the robbed hive were full of earwig type insects. Just like earwigs but a bit smaller. It was like something out of Indiana Jones when I started to clear them out. I have put the robbed hive away for now to be thoroughly cleaned and set another hive out for bait but I wasn't able to get 5 metres height, I also put a nuc out in another suitable (I think) place. The hives are on tables about 1.5 metres ish. It will be interesting to see what happens.
Thank you for all the advice again and the article on bait hives. I would love to get one. I would also love to know where those robbers are coming from??

Latest posts

Back