Would anybody be able to identify this please?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyd

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello everyone.

I'm sure you get asked questions like this all the time so please accept my apologies.

My wife is a childminder and during the last couple of days she has noticed small bee-like creatures entering a couple of holes in the mortar between bricks on the front of our house. At first she was convinced they were wasps and was determined to call in the pest control people but I have pursuaded her to hold fire until I could find confirmation.

If it helps we live in a fairly rural area with open fields less than a quarter of a mile away and the wall on the house is North facing and is cavity wall construction.

bee4.jpg

bee3.jpg

bee2.jpg

bee1.jpg

Any help you could give would be much appreciated. The pictures were taken on my mobile phone so the quality is not brilliant. The coin is a 1 pence piece.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

Regards

Andy

Unless I'm very much mistaken it's a 1 penny piece.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Edit - also didn't read your post properly, so the joke is even less funny (if that is possible!!)

mason bee, we have the same problem on the front of our house and next door too. They dont sting, and will lay their egg in a hole, leave it enough food to hatch, seal the hole then leave

Shropshire inverts group has a nice webpage about solitary bees (which can still occur in groups, often in some numbers, just not in big colonies).
http://www.insectpix.net/solitary_bees_gallery.htm

The mason or masonry bees are the ones that tend to live in mortar; mining bees tends to refer to the ones that make holes in bare banks of soil etc. Both can look very like honey bees. Whilst they are technically territorial, and show curiosity if you go near their burrows, they are very peaceful bees. Even if really riled they only have a small, weak sting and I've never heard of anyone being stung by one. They are very attractive little bees and have a reputation as excellent pollinators.

Thank you to everyone for your help.

We are happy to leave the bees alone - they aren't bothering anyone.

When would be the best time of year for me to repair the mortar joints in the wall? I don't want to trap any of the little chaps in the wall!

Andy

I thought I read somewhere the young in the holes don't emerge until next year. That may be complete and utter twaddle however!

I thought I read somewhere the young in the holes don't emerge until next year. That may be complete and utter twaddle however!

I read that about tawny mining bees. I've had a couple of the above bees in my house this year. If it was last year I'd have run screaming like a mad woman from the premises until they'd been removed. Not this year lol :D

Thanks Kaz, I thought I'd read it. Not going mad after all! (well, not on this occasion anyway:willy_nilly:)

If it was last year I'd have run screaming like a mad woman from the premises until they'd been removed.
I am rather suprised that my wife acceptd the bees without question..... She aint too keen on spiders..

We were out somewhere last year and there was quite a few wasps about...

everybody was flapping their hands about and somebody told her there was one on her shoulder..... she turned her head looked at it,,, said "I've been trying to teach it to say 'Pieces of Eight' " and flicked it off...

I am rather suprised that my wife acceptd the bees without question..... She aint too keen on spiders..

We were out somewhere last year and there was quite a few wasps about...

everybody was flapping their hands about and somebody told her there was one on her shoulder..... she turned her head looked at it,,, said "I've been trying to teach it to say 'Pieces of Eight' " and flicked it off...

That is funny :D

I'm still terrified of spiders and I just hate wasps. I suppose my insect phobia hasn't gone anywhere, I'm just used to bees now I know a bit more about them.

Last edited:
That is funny :D

I'm still terrified of spiders and I just hate wasps. I suppose my insect phobia hasn't gone anywhere, I'm just used to bees now I know a bit more about them.

Kaz, perhaps if you learn about spiders you wont be scared of them either.

Spiders are fascinating just like bees. Go on give it a try..............

Back