Wot no wasps!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enrico

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Is it my imagination or is the wasp population none existent this year... :party:
Certainly where I live I have seen none since the last cold weather:eek:

August and September are not that far away:) The fun will start then:)

Removed an empty super from the shed yesterday, 20min later noticed the largest wasp I have ever seen. No exageration, it was a big one.

Had a millisecond day dream of napalming the critter but in reality it got a good whacking with the hive tool. :rolleyes:

I have heard that due to the warm start to the year then a continuous cold snap that a lot of queen wasps were caught out and perished (don't know if there's any truth in that but it makes saense)

We found a dead hornet by a small nuc in our apiary on Tuesday. Not sure how it died and glad it did as it seemed to suggest the bees were theatened and fought back.

A couple of days ago I splatted 2 very large wasps (queens?) that were foraging on a cotoneaster with bumbles and honeybees.
So yes there are some around.

Saw a big wasp around nuc yesterday, have now added 'tunnel entrance and a sheet of glass. Getting ready to get traps out.

Look what I found in my roof. It's gone now :reddevil:

20120528_130325.jpg

Wasps have been noticeable by their absence this in these quarters also,
As said earlier, probably encouraged by unseasonable weather only to be thwarted by 2 months of rain following ?
VM

No wasps here the cold weather in april killed a lot of queens. I havent had one call for wasps yet/

Latest posts

Back