Worst Year for European Hornets and Wasps?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeno

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Most wasps and European Hornets I have ever seen in my apiary constantly harrassing the colonies. So far they have not gained access to the colonies, but far too much effort goes into guard duties. They are on fully opened entrances at the moment as they are receiving MAQS treatment. I plan to put on mouse guards tomorrow as they come off treatment. Also, I have hoovered up 198 hornets today and 1,200 wasps the other day. Not seen any hornets in the apiary today - fingers crossed. But I have another large wasp nest to deal with. They are all collecting protein at the moment mainly thoraxes from hawking the bees and picking off diseased or ageing bees. My colonies are strong and my nucs are doing ok, but I must say this is the first year that I am concerned for the bees. How are other beeks finding it!

I have the same. I have wasp traps down and they are starting to fill up. Colonies all strong, but loads of bees guarding the entrances, even Nucs have at least 20 bees in a clump outside the entrances. Hopefully when the wasps turn to sweet feeding the bees will escalate the guard duties.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Also, I have hoovered up 198 hornets today and 1,200 wasps the other day.

Do you count them as they go into the hoover or tip them out and count them individually after?

Shame about the hornets in my opinion.

I agree, best left alone, hundreds of them around the hives here as well, also feeding on fondant in the back of the truck, yes they take a few bees but don't really have much impact on them.
There will always be some moron that just wants to kill them though.

Last edited:
I have quite a few wasps in the kitchen as I process the fruits of over exhuberant poly tunnel planting but there are very few at the hive entrances.

I agree, best left alone, hundreds of them around the hives here as well, also feeding on fondant in the back of the truck, yes they take a few bees but don't really have much impact on them.
There will always be some moron that just wants to kill them though.

Well, there you go then, no shortage of hornets. There is another nest in the woods here. I would consider constant hawking by hornets and wasps quite a stressor on the bees as evidenced by the vast amount of guard bees at the entrance at a time when they should be out collecting pollen to raise winter bees.

Well, there you go then, no shortage of hornets. There is another nest in the woods here. I would consider constant hawking by hornets and wasps quite a stressor on the bees as evidenced by the vast amount of guard bees at the entrance at a time when they should be out collecting pollen to raise winter bees.

Blimey, what part of South East or Suffolk are you guys in? My hives are either side of Bures and wasps are a pain (literally at times) but the bees seem to be able to cope with them ok. Hornets? not seen any yet.

I was hoping that the wasps would start to die down now it's cooling down and days getting shorter.

You're getting me worried.

The wasp season has a little way to go yet before it peaks. The times to be careful will be when the last of the fruit has gone and then when the last of the ivy has flowered. We're still receiving reports of germanica in hunting mode meaning that predominantly ground dwelling wasps have yet to enter into the fray. As it is, the current wasp pressure is still dilute by virtue of other naturally occurring sugar sources, i.e. fruit and blooms. It might be prudent to keep a more frequent eye on apiaries this fall.

The wasp season has a little way to go yet before it peaks. The times to be careful will be when the last of the fruit has gone and then when the last of the ivy has flowered. We're still receiving reports of germanica in hunting mode meaning that predominantly ground dwelling wasps have yet to enter into the fray. As it is, the current wasp pressure is still dilute by virtue of other naturally occurring sugar sources, i.e. fruit and blooms. It might be prudent to keep a more frequent eye on apiaries this fall.

Does seem to be an element of desperation to the wasp behaviour. Throwing them selves at entrance packed full of aggressive bees does not look like a winning strategy

That I'm afraid comes with starvation which will be different in different locales. So long as they don't learn to ambush returning honeybees for the nectar in their crops. If that happens on mass then setting of traps becomes an imperative because it's a quick way to lose a hive. 5000 wasps taking 10 bees each in a day soon impacts on a hive.

So long as they don't learn to ambush returning honeybees for the nectar in their crops. If that happens on mass then setting of traps becomes an imperative because it's a quick way to lose a hive. 5000 wasps taking 10 bees each in a day soon impacts on a hive.

If honey bees are collecting nectar then usually so are the wasps during the autumn, early on the ivy often has almost as many wasps foraging from it as honey bees, if the bees are not foraging then they usually stay at home.

The ivy in this area usually carries on flowering until mid December and there are not many wasps still alive by then here.

If honey bees are collecting nectar then usually so are the wasps during the autumn, early on the ivy often has almost as many wasps foraging from it as honey bees, if the bees are not foraging then they usually stay at home.

The times to be careful will be when the last of the fruit has gone and then when the last of the ivy has flowered.

The ivy in this area usually carries on flowering until mid December and there are never very many wasps still alive by then around here, wonder why that is with such an abundant source of nectar.

The ivy in this area usually carries on flowering until mid December and there are not many wasps still alive by then here.

Wasps generally take the path of least resistance which can be influenced by a multitude of factors including the size of the local wasp population and the abundance of available 'rich' food sources. So wasps will prefer ivy to suicidal attacks on hives but if there's a lack of ivy they will employ ever more desparate measures. Wasp behaviour varies tremendously between apiaries because of differences in environmental factors. Hives located in the orchards of Somerset will experience different wasp pressure than those of monocultural East Anglia.

Latest posts

Back