Worrying

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryan_220

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
2 + nuc
Since haveing bees some 14months ago all has been going grate. Up to 2 hives and a nuc maybe two nuc`s soon. Iam 25 so quite young and fit not over weight. So getting to the point.

But reguards sings
1st was a red dot
2nd zize of 2p 3rd red lump then the
4th 4 days ago got me though my bee suit on the top of my arm and my are swell in size 2/3 bigger.
5th 1day ago on my ankle and now it's twice the size and its very painful :confused:

It seams that my reaction are gradually geting more and more severe and Puriton has little afect on the swelling.
Whould anyone recomend i try and get an Epipen ????

Ohers will advise re. Epipens but the ankle is a particularly painful place to get stung and my one and only ankle sting resulted in large swelling.

I now always wear wellies even for the smallest jobs.

I had an interesting set of stings this afternoon. I'd been mowing a path up the side of the field, and I thought I'd run across the front of the bee hives - one pass, no big deal. So I did, and rather a lot of them came out to say hello. I got at least two stings in the back of the head, and legged it!

I've never had any reaction to stings before, so I was slightly worried to start itching really badly (armpits and crotch if you have to know!), and my face started to go numb. No problem breathing or anything like that. Thankfully Mrs rae was on hand to administer piriton, and all settled down reasonably quickly. Stings in the head seem to be a lot more of a problem than anywhere else.

I must go and get the mower, I abandoned it in the field!

No, because they can kill you.

Have you never been stung as a kid? Your reactions sound in the 'normal' range. It matters where you get stung and how much venom enters your tissue.

Er, dude. Don't get stung.

Don't get stung sounds best. And don't take short cuts...as in just nipping in front of the hives, just a mininuc etc. I get fed up with the machismo don't wear protection brigade I'm afraid. I'm not afraid of bees but have no wish to be stung particularly on the face although accept that a few are normal. If I wanted a face like a boxer, guess what...?!

Joint stings seem relatively bad. I took two through the suit to the back of the head the other day and it tracked down to the base of the skull where it ached for over a week.

Your stings sound normal. Epipens are dangerous if not definitely needed to save a life - as in you have previously had anaphylactic shock. Under the tongue liquid/powder antihistamines will help in a serious reaction. But read up on what IS a serious reaction...a lot more than a painful local reaction.

And wear wellies or similar. My partner had them tracking up his suit in the gathering dusk. Bad mood, bad timing, wrong kit.

If you life's mission is not to get stung then.........

Frankly Beekeeping is NOT for you.

PH

If you life's mission is not to get stung then.........

Frankly Beekeeping is NOT for you.

PH

That's a bit black and white PH. It's just sensible to wear the kit rather than get facial stings and with my lifestyle swollen ankle and wrist joints would be very limiting so best avoided where possible.

Read the post: "I'm not afraid of bees but have no wish to be stung particularly on the face although accept that a few are normal."

No, dont get an epi pen but i would get new Bees instead, you should consider re queening or change your aftershave.

Do they come up straight away when you arrive, when you lift the crown board or when you take a frame out, could be technique but i suspect grumpy bees

what suit have you got and why did you not wear wellies

That's because in this case it is black and white.

If you keep bees whether you kit up or not you will be stung. End of.

If you begin to react badly and or your nearest and dearest react then it is time to hang up the trusty hive tool.

Sad but true.

I dinna post for fun I tell it the way it is.

PH

Fair enough PH...thought you were referring to my post above yours. Be interested to know how well desensitization works in individuals severely allergic to bee venom but otherwise not of an allergic disposition. Any research out there?

The only time i get stung is when they go though a re queen or one gets really lucky. Normaly there fine and not waspy and you could sit out side there hive all day with out problems though i wouldnt advise this there not bad bees.
I Always wear my BBwear suit with out fail when iam working on them or close porx to them! Maybe a pair of wellington boots i will have to get as they like my black socks.
Just abit worryed that everytime i get stung the reation is more and more thats all just cant help thinking maybe oneday i might go into shock, i do keep my hives in a place where no one goes but me and my grandad is 78. Unlikely he would find me if i passed out.
PS I know you dont use an apipen unless your about to die/pass out not just jor a normal sting reaction.

Well I thought swelling was a normal reaction until you get a lot of stings.

As long as your whole body doesn't get blotchy or you have trouble breathing, that was ok?

It would be a normal physiological reaction for the effect of stings to get worse the first few times you are stung. Then I would expect it to even off, or even improve.

Site of sting makes big difference. Antihistamine a good idea as soon as you can take it. ( liquid works faster than tablets).

Epipen should be used for severe anaphylactic reaction only, and not for a bad ( but normal) reaction to stings. There is a post in the stickies to give you some idea of symptoms of anaphylaxis.

Fair enough PH...thought you were referring to my post above yours. Be interested to know how well desensitization works in individuals severely allergic to bee venom but otherwise not of an allergic disposition. Any research out there?
I'm allergic to hornets, wasps etc but not honey bees. Went and got tested at the local allergy clinic to determine exactly what I was allergic to and then took a course of injection over 12 months to de-senzitize the allergic reaction. Am now on a maintenance regime of 2 shots every 8 weeks, prseumably for ever. No longer carry an epipen and had only minor reactions to yellow jacket (wasp) stings last year, actually less of a reaction than I have to bee stings. Have found that I am reacting less to bee stings too except for ones on the face and head, sometimes stupidly do small tasks with no protection.

I'm allergic to hornets, wasps etc but not honey bees. Went and got tested at the local allergy clinic to determine exactly what I was allergic to and then took a course of injection over 12 months to de-senzitize the allergic reaction. Am now on a maintenance regime of 2 shots every 8 weeks, prseumably for ever. No longer carry an epipen and had only minor reactions to yellow jacket (wasp) stings last year, actually less of a reaction than I have to bee stings. Have found that I am reacting less to bee stings too except for ones on the face and head, sometimes stupidly do small tasks with no protection.

Thanks Peter, that's very interesting. Especially about the maintenance shots. But sounds like the system works...excellent :).

Latest posts

Back