Wormery

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Hi all. I like growing plants and vegetables when I'm not bothering bees. I thought about getting a wormery. Does anyone else have one? What do you reckon to them?
Cheers
Simon

A compost heap works better for us. I think it might depend on how large your family is, and how much leftover food waste you have...

Reactions: Ely
Yes, I have one ... it converts all the household peelings and waste raw food into lovely compost and worm tea (worm pee !) both of them are really good - the compost is really pure - fantastic for raising seedlings if you mix it with some leaf mould and the worm tea gets diluted 10:1 and is really good plant food.

I got mine in the autumn and in all honesty they didn't do a lot over winter... they really got going once the weather warmed up in spring and they are booming at present. I like to see them doing their work and they are making loads of baby worms at present.

To be honest - we only use kitchen waste to feed the worms ... we still have compost bins for the garden refuse they are not up to industrial quantities with these home wormeries ... this is the one I have (although its gone up a lot in price since I got mine !).

https://www.wormery.co.uk/3-tray-deluxe-tiger-wormery-black
Lots of info on their site ...

Reactions: Ely
Yes, I have one ... it converts all the household peelings and waste raw food into lovely compost and worm tea (worm pee !) both of them are really good - the compost is really pure - fantastic for raising seedlings if you mix it with some leaf mould and the worm tea gets diluted 10:1 and is really good plant food.

I got mine in the autumn and in all honesty they didn't do a lot over winter... they really got going once the weather warmed up in spring and they are booming at present. I like to see them doing their work and they are making loads of baby worms at present.

To be honest - we only use kitchen waste to feed the worms ... we still have compost bins for the garden refuse they are not up to industrial quantities with these home wormeries ... this is the one I have (although its gone up a lot in price since I got mine !).

https://www.wormery.co.uk/3-tray-deluxe-tiger-wormery-black
Lots of info on their site ...
Damn, it's nearly doubled in price in the last 6 weeks!!!

Damn, it's nearly doubled in price in the last 6 weeks!!!
built one out in Lesotho from concrete blocks with a corrugated iron floor, it's not rocket science, you could probably cobble up something using OMF mesh. plenty of places selling dendrobaena worms for fishing/composting on the net without paying eco warrior inflated prices.

built one out in Lesotho from concrete blocks with a corrugated iron floor, it's not rocket science, you could probably cobble up something using OMF mesh. plenty of places selling dendrobaena worms for fishing/composting on the net without paying eco warrior inflated prices.
I have a friend with a horse muck heap full of worms. Why pay at all!

I was planning to get my dad one for his birthday in October. Not sure concrete blocks will have the same impression.

Latest posts

Back