workers removing apiguard

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
The Bees in one of my hives remove all the Apiguard in large chunks within the first week see photos of it out side the hive

my other hives just ignore it

the bees in the lower one are also balling a robber bee

my bees have done exactly the same thing within 2 days of putting the apiguard in

Bees always know best!?!

They obviously prefer the varroa mites to the apiguard!!

Wow, they removed chunks like that from the tray!

Was it 'dry', or did they remove the gel part first?

Regards, RAB

thymocentric housekeeping

Here's mine removing ALV as mentioned on previous thread:

sorry about the orientation - having problems with exif data embedding and preview on the mac.

Bees always know best!?!

They obviously prefer the varroa mites to the apiguard!!

Wow, they removed chunks like that from the tray!

Was it 'dry', or did they remove the gel part first?

Regards, RAB

i have saw the gel on the board as well mid week, took my camera today to photogaph it and no gel left on the landing board but as i looked a single Bee hauled out this large lump, just pulled it out of the entrance and it fell down the landing board, then more came out in smaller peices

it is day 9 after putting it in

I wonder if the apiguard has dried out, or even been mixed too dry? The idea is that they do remove it, but that it's gunky enough that they and every bee they touch get covered in it, thus spreading it and it's fumes around the hive. I've seen some on the landing board, but only in bee mouthfuls- It shouldn't come apart in chunks.

Latest posts

Back