Worker bee

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GowerSteve

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I couldn't remember my password just now, and when I tried to get a new one, the log in page asked me for another name for a worker bee. I have no idea - any thoughts?

I couldn't remember my password just now, and when I tried to get a new one, the log in page asked me for another name for a worker bee. I have no idea - any thoughts?
Definitely Georgina.

Oops, it's 69 years since I sat in the delightful Miss Thomas' 🦸‍♀️ class at Pentrepoeth Boys School, Carmarthen...
Mmm, that's just brough back memories of Miss Thomas the music teacher sitting on my lap during the post eisteddfod celebrations when I won the county male voice soloist class to enable me to go on to sing against Bryn Terfel in the National.
If I recall correctly - that was a wee bit more than delightful 😁

Mmm, that's just brough back memories of Miss Thomas the music teacher sitting on my lap during the post eisteddfod celebrations when I won the county male voice soloist class to enable me to go on to sing against Bryn Terfel in the National.
what singing next to Bryn Terfel ? Can't see much pleasure in that ....

We all, this side of the border, need cheering up in this gloomy, bee-less, wet lockdown. Now that you are unlocked, maybe you could give us a U-tube rendition of Land of My Fathers? :giggle:

When lockdown finishes, and my côr Meibion resumes activities, maybe a rendering of heaven's anthem will be forthcoming:). In the meantime, as a relative newbee, may I ask if I need to check my (only!) hive for fondant. It is, as usual, very mild up here in y Nghogledd!

When lockdown finishes, and my côr Meibion resumes activities, maybe a rendering of heaven's anthem will be forthcoming:). In the meantime, as a relative newbee, may I ask if I need to check my (only!) hive for fondant. It is, as usual, very mild up here in y Nghogledd!
Have you been hefting it? does it feel heavy , light or very light? How much did you feed it this autumn?

Ah, good point. It does feel heavy, but not nailed down. I had a lot of losses after MAQS application, so these bees were a very kind gift of a nuc in August. I fed a total of 10 litres of summer syrup and 5 of winter. My concern is that the bees are still flying, even though the ivy is nearly over, and they aren't visiting the phacelia any more. I think I need to nip out and look!

You should always be checking your hives, even if it’s just to see if the roofs blown off. A good number of times I’ve had the I’ve just been down to check my bees and they are dead conversation. And believe it or not several in April, simple fact for many a bucket of syrup in feb/March may well have saved them. Proactive beeks will suffer far fewer loses fact! To be honest I think it’s irrelevant what you’ve fed a month ago they could have burnt it up or been robbed.

You should always be checking your hives, even if it’s just to see if the roofs blown off. A good number of times I’ve had the I’ve just been down to check my bees and they are dead conversation. And believe it or not several in April, simple fact for many a bucket of syrup in feb/March may well have saved them. Proactive beeks will suffer far fewer loses fact! To be honest I think it’s irrelevant what you’ve fed a month ago they could have burnt it up or been robbed.
Spot on that is. I checked mine today and added some fondant to one - although the weather here has been lousy for over a month it has been milder than usual, but with few flying days overall - they've gobbled down a lot recently.

Back