Woodworm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polyanwood

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I have put my spare wooden equipment outside in the rain because my shed is full of woodworm and strangely none of the family want a stack of hive parts in their bedrooms. It has been raining so much and although I did paint them with Cuprinol on the outside only, I don't think the rain is doing them any good.

Ideas please how I could either get rid of the woodworm in the shed or protect the hive parts from woodworm?

There are some woodworm killers easily available from diy places, mostly it's just painted on. Are you sure it's live woodworm - have you seen fine sawdust under the flight holes?

Leaving your hives outside long term is not a good idea, but they won't come to a great deal of harm left to the elements for a winter. Some of mine came from a friend and they had been shoved in an open sided store and I bet they had been there for the 5 years he had been in residence, not that you would feel inclined to spend ???'s on hives only to leave them to rot. . .

Get to the diy place this weekend, clear your shed and paint the stuff on, leave it to dry for a few days and then get your hives inside.

(I haven't gone yet - 7pm is the eta)

If the timber is cedar it is unlikely to suffer from either the elements or woodworm,even with no treatment of any kind.

Lots of natural oils in the timber which are poison to insects and fungi which is what makes the timber naturally durable,this is only if the hives are made from heartwood,some cheap hives and seconds i have seen also have sapwood on them,which has nowhere near the same durability and will rot.

Lots of natural oils in the timber which are poison to insects and fungi which is what makes the timber naturally durable,this is only if the hives are made from heartwood,some cheap hives and seconds i have seen also have sapwood on them,which has nowhere near the same durability and will rot.

Tell me about it,I purchased 5 from China and although I had been given a 100% guarantee they are Cedar they have a couple of woodworm holes and smell of nothing.

They came ready assembled and contain more filler than wood.

Cant grumble to much as they cost £60 delivered including brood and super frames,QE and OMF.

There are several species of cedar,but only one western red cedar,if you have this you will smell it,very strong.These others still get passed off as western red. I have some huge sequoi to mill and am going to make some bee equipment from this,it is very durable but not resistant to insect attact.will not be selling anthing made from this.

Wood worm (in generic name) has many forums, but most require very specific moisture contents to survie.

As Frisbee said are you sure it is alive?

When we first moved into our house last year I saw some wood worm holes in a bit of wood in the garage, but on readin up I found out there are several types of wood worm and most are not going to eat your house to the ground.

And in fact (like mine turned out) the holes might be 20+ years old. One way to check is paint over the holes and see if new ones are formed next year.

Back to the hives, they are designed to live out doors so thats the best place for them. If they are treated well, and no leaks they will be fine.

Thanks for al the good advice. Some of the hives are deal, some cedar and some polystyrene. I only gave the wood ones one coat of Cuprinol. I will get down to Wickes or B+Q then and buy some paint. Thanks for all advice. Woodworm in shed might be dead I suppose. Painted the outside of the shed with creosote a couple of years running, which kills everything I thought, and which is why I stopped using it.

Watch the poly hives,you may get poly mites in them,freeze for 24 hours and then cook in slow oven for 20 mins per pound,this usually kills them.

Ha, ha, ha!*I reckon you are teasing me! I told you that the bees have eaten great chunks of the entrances of the poly's because they were not impressed with the thymol treatment I gave them.... or (and this is a more exciting, more ridiculous xfactor theory) was it that like pollen, poly mites have a high protein content and they needed it for brood rearing:smilielol5::smilielol5:

Stop it before i fall off my chair:svengo:

Ask Finman, he is protien expert.

Latest posts

Back