Woodworm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mandeville

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
A beekeeping colleague has inherited an observation hive which he'd like to restore. Does anyone have any suggestions for a suitable treatment for woodworm?

A beekeeping colleague has inherited an observation hive which he'd like to restore. Does anyone have any suggestions for a suitable treatment for woodworm?

Bonfire :)
Depends how bad it is.
There are lots of proprietary treatments on the market that google will locate for you very quickly, then choice of filler to disguise the holes. But if the damage is really severe, wood crumbling and powdery, 1st suggestion is the only cure.

Would freezing it work?

Yes, will kill them dead. Used by lots of museums etc to preserve original furniture/cravings etc.
Clever idea Eric1/2b no insecticides need to be applied.....

Last edited:
I would suggest using it as a template then burning it.

KISS

PH

Any idea how long it would need to be in the freezer for?

How those worms survive in nature? I am not sure if cold kills them. -20C in nature is nothing cold.

Bring those Beatles into your house is not a good idea.

Burn the hive.

Last edited:
Don't store it near any other equipment before treated.... surprising how quick woodwork can spread....

I look from English explanation about "Wood worm". There are many beatle larvae, which are called woodworms. Some are dangerous to wooden houses.

Freezing yes. Our forests have often -40C and woodworms and wood beatles are alive in spring.

Then poison into the beehive timber. Almost as good idea.

Latest posts

Back