woodpecker protection methods

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Just thought i would ask about what over winter woodpecker protection you use (if any)

on one apiary I am going for full 1" wire mesh cages, What do others use

Why ask Now, well it's getting cold and the ground will soon be frozen and the green woodpecker will be looking for food

Thought i was too late, this morning when i Saw the flash of green around my Hive, but a different bird pest

I use cages of 1/2" chicken wire. I have the green woodpecker on my lawn but they don't seem to have discovered the hives yet. Once they do it's like Harrods sale so don't take the risk.
Plenty of spotted woodies here too but they don't care about the bees- so far!

Whilst I agree that we want to protect our bees I think we should show some consideration for the woodpeckers and make sure any wire deployed is visible. This will help keep them from harm when they investigate and test our defenses.

That's why 1/2" , and their eyesight a hell of a lot better than mine....but I love all birds (except pigeons) and will do all to protect them

Whilst I agree that we want to protect our bees I think we should show some consideration for the woodpeckers and make sure any wire deployed is visible. This will help keep them from harm when they investigate and test our defenses.

It isn't just woodpeckers that need to be able to untangle themselves from fine netting, blackbirds thrushes and so on also get themselves caught in it and can starve to death if they aren't rescued.

Better to use something sturdy such as chicken wire or thick plastic netting. I think this is what I've got http://www.diy.com/nav/garden/fenci...VC-Mesh-Green-L-5m-x-W-0-5m-x-D-25mm-11987871 19mm mesh size. Not cheap, but it should last for years.

My cages are on frames that I can lift off but a woodpecker cannot get any 'drilling' distance to the wood. Nothing ever gets trapped and i check regularly. Think mesh may be awkward for birds if same as my veg garden mesh, a bit too flexible.

I use sheets of plastic strawberry netting with each one used to cover 4 or 5 hives with the sheet held down by house bricks and in the last 40 years have never entangled one yet.

Point maybe needs to be made that whatever mesh needs to be 'stood off' the hives by a decent distance - I think the NBU advice was about a foot (30cm) between mesh and hives.
Saw an (association) poly that was badly holed despite being wire-mesh-covered --- but with only an inch or two of airspace between mesh and hive!

Poly hives need the roof protected!

For anyone going the "sheets of plastic" route, I reckon that Tyvek breathable roofing membrane ought to be just about ideal. While asking for Celotex offcuts on building sites, it might be worth mentioning Tyvek as well! :)

I shan't be bothering for some while yet (Green Woodpeckers are rarely seen in the town), I'll probably just drape some fruit netting over - and maybe dangle some of the pile of stored junk DVDs & CDs around the site as a deterrent.

Are they parakeets, MM?

Yes Luminos,

Ring neck Parakeets, they now reckon there are over 30,000 feral in London, nice flash of color but rather noisy

Those in the tree are eating Honeybeam seeds which I don't mind as they grow from seed everywhere but it gets annoying when the attack my grape vine

Last edited:
I hung Lidl draw-string plazzy bags down the sides of the hives - the bags were held in position by the roof.

It stopped more damage, which started in the snowy period last winter. Can't even remember if I pinned or taped them, or just left them hanging. It worked as they had nowhere to get a grip. No damp problem either as they were certainly not that tight to the hive. I shall be utilising the same bags this year, as I just took them off and left them in the shed. I think a roll of 20 bags was three quid? So 60p per hive reducing to 30p if I need them this year, plus I can use them for garden rubbish at any time.

RAB

I make a teepee style arrangement from cane and strawberry netting but only for the polyhives.
Woodys are present in the garden but have never yet made a connection in this garden...........famous last words.....
I have a woody damaged hive but that was in another site.
Cazza

It isn't just woodpeckers that need to be able to untangle themselves from fine netting, blackbirds thrushes and so on also get themselves caught in it and can starve to death if they aren't rescued.

Better to use something sturdy such as chicken wire or thick plastic netting. I think this is what I've got http://www.diy.com/nav/garden/fenci...VC-Mesh-Green-L-5m-x-W-0-5m-x-D-25mm-11987871 19mm mesh size. Not cheap, but it should last for years.

Hope you leave a gap between hive & mesh Joy!:calmdown:

Latest posts

Back