Woodpecker damage -

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeeHill

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I thought I had protected my hives against woodpecker damage - but apparently not!!! This was all done after I put the wire around the hive.

Any idea what I've got wrong - wrong type of wire??, too close to hive??, not complete protection so that woody got inside??

I'm trying to be stoic about this - its a steep learning curve.

regards

Andy

Interesting how they know how to go for the thinnest parts. Wire needs to be further away as I suspect it bends towards the hive with the weight of the bird. A Lesser Spotted might have got in through the holes in the wire but I don't think they attack hives but check for any gaps around the bottom.

If you PM you with your name and address I'll send to a woodpecker proof net - I've only got one but happy to let you have it free to try, as once the bird has learned to attack hives they don't give up.

I suggest block up the holes with bits of sponge as an interim measure to keep the drafts out. Also PM me with how much is damaged and I'll see what I can do about replacements. Are the hive bodies glued?

Last edited:
Are you sure thats woodpecker damage?

If your colony is still alive get some foam plugs and put them inside a plastic bag and plug the holes until spring when you can repair the damage properly.

I think I will get some thin mesh and pin it over the hand holds next winter if they have figured out to attack the thinnest part of the hive wall.

Last edited:
Advertising thats its a "B" hive doesnt help.

I would say that the wire you have is ok but you need a few more layers...

or use some of that mesh that plasterers use...

you can get a smaller gauge of wire called rabbit wire. might help. id be sickened you have my simpathys

or squirt some of that expanding foam you can get into a freezer bag, seal it and force into hole - it should expand nicely to fill it.

Oh, and wire up the mesh TO THE MAINS !!!

I suspect I have a woody trying to do similar having spotted some damage to the entrance blocks on a couple of hives. I might get an airgun !

S

how about welded wire galv mesh, a variety of sizes on a roll - I use 600 wide and cut it 1200 high. different mesh sizes available but 25 x 25 will keep The Arnold Schwarzeneggers out . Get some tanalised 25 x 18 timber batten and make some square sections to suit the mesh size. Staple the mesh to the sections. Hold 4 sections in place around the hive with baler twine or plastic cable ties if you are rich. Top with either a suitable sized roof section or just a piece of ply - simples.

In the Summer use the frames as protection on your strawberries or they obviously stack with minimal footprint. Will cost a bit and definitely more than chicken wire but then your hives cost a bit ?

I bought some Twilweld (sheffield?) in 1994 and it has been outside ever since and is incredibly strong and resilient. If you spend some time making them they will last forever. Ebay usually has some imitators but the postage is crippling as the roll (mine were 6 meters) weighs a fair bit .

Regards

FB

Sheets of glass. That'll fool the woodies...

woodpecker damage

went to give mine their oxalic wakeup this afternoon - 5 seams - all went well apart from one sting on leg - turned out this was due to a inch hole in bottom corner of brood box that i hadn't spotted - NOTE not thinnest part this time.

I've piled a load of spare boxes etc against the hole until i can get back tomorrow am with a wooden patch to screw on and a mesh cage (and something to deal with the critters if i spot one!).

checked rest of apiary and all seem well!!! just my luck - angriest bees on site now been upset even more!!!!

That's service RT, I take my hat off to you, but can it wait until the warmer weather ?. . . Brrrr.

I think it could have been either, squirrels, tits or pelicans. I say pelicans because they have really long beaks and could, IMO, reach through the holes in the wire!

Brian.

a plastic owl? the missus has an "electric candle". or that's what she says it is - keeps it in bedside drawer.

how will real peregrine falcons & eagles do???? that's what protect my dadants!

the missus has an "electric candle". or that's what she says it is - keeps it in bedside drawer.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I do not see the conection between woodpeckers, owls and your wifes "candle".

But thanks for sharing it with us?

PS Yes any other type of raptor might well have the same effect:p

Yeh, my wife also loves the animals, she has a thing for rabbits, what the heck, they're bee friendly, right...

Brian

Back