Woodpecker damage

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Hi all

I've been lucky enough to be offered a new apiary site. It's right on the edge of an ancient woodland and will be the first site I've had in such a location.

My question is about woodpecker damage. Given that I don't yet have anything built to protect hives I was wondering.at what point of the year do you guys think its safe to move colonies up there?
I'm assuming that once the bees are flying strongly wood peckers find themselves easier meals or can they go for a hive at any time?

Also any other wildlife I have to worry about. Have seen a well used path presumably fox or badger running through the site as well.

New site in picture below.

Attachments

• IMG_20210214_121249.jpg
    IMG_20210214_121249.jpg
    9.8 MB · Views: 57
As I understand it it's normally hard frosts when insects are difficult to find that prompts woodpeckers to attack hives.
I will probably start removing my wraps at the end of this month.
If they decide they want what is inside a hive they can make a pretty impressive mess of it!

I have badgers, foxes and dear that walk around my hives and have never had any problems.

Attachments

• IMG_1180.JPG
    IMG_1180.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 57
As I understand it it's normally hard frosts when insects are difficult to find that prompts woodpeckers to attack hives.
I will probably start removing my wraps at the end of this month.
If they decide they want what is inside a hive they can make a pretty impressive mess of it!

I have badgers, foxes and dear that walk around my hives and have never had any problems.

This is good to know. Will shift them up next month then. I'm in no hurry to move them so happy to wait it out. Will buy some wraps for next winter.

Looks a good little spot. What is grown in the field?

Woodpeckers can and do make a mess of hives they can also make a poly hive look like Swiss cheese! I think it’s very much a learnt behaviour, some sites they are a problem others with plenty of woodpeckers in the area have no issues. Like Neil wraps help or Dpm on the side of the hive can help. If you have problems it’s just something you have to deal with add to the list😉

@BigAshW badgers can be problem creatures but not usually. I tend to think that it's specific individuals which cause trouble rather than any general Badger that's under pressure. If your hives are on stands (unlike mine) I don't think you'll ever have a problem. I've got one apiary almost on top of a sett and never have a problem I also have a couple of apiaries in the foraging area of another which do receive visits if the ground is frozen (also had mating hives attacked in one particularly dry spell a few years ago). I noticed that our culprit has learnt to carry combs well away from the upturned colonies if they're active before eating. Very big rocks on top help.29983750_1678893962207480_18163420431454244_o.jpg

Attachments

• 30073468_1678889612207915_2301122188669692188_o.jpg
    30073468_1678889612207915_2301122188669692188_o.jpg
    413.4 KB · Views: 44
I had one site that has seen minor damage three times over 8 yrs. strangely seems to be linked to the same hive stands. I have used a made up chicken wire cage (as had wire to hand), making sure that cage was spaced out from hive to ensure it didn't just provide handy foot holds for Mr. yaffle.

@BigAshW badgers can be problem creatures but not usually. I tend to think that it's specific individuals which cause trouble rather than any general Badger that's under pressure. If your hives are on stands (unlike mine) I don't think you'll ever have a problem. I've got one apiary almost on top of a sett and never have a problem I also have a couple of apiaries in the foraging area of another which do receive visits if the ground is frozen (also had mating hives attacked in one particularly dry spell a few years ago). I noticed that our culprit has learnt to carry combs well away from the upturned colonies if they're active before eating. Very big rocks on top help.View attachment 24401
Gosh that's a bit of destruction there. Thanks for the tips

This is good to know. Will shift them up next month then. I'm in no hurry to move them so happy to wait it out. Will buy some wraps for next winter.
Don't spend too much on wraps, just get some builder's DPM (damp proof membrane) plastic sheeting and cut to size. You can get it from builder's mechants or ebay, or perhaps acquire some offcuts from your local builder.

We have green woodpeckers here which will attack hives in the winter. I usually put the wraps on in November and remove in March. We also have badgers but so far they haven't assaulted our hives, all on stands.

I have Green Woodpecker(s) in my garden/apiary. They are only interested in digging up ants in the lawn. They haven't discovered the bees yet.

I’m on the due of woodland, with woodpeckers around, and badgers, and haven’t had any problems from either since 5e bees moved in 8 years ago. I was told woodpeckers need to be taught there’s food in those boxes, so most of the time they leave them alone. Mind, half my colonies are in wbc which gives an extra layer, and half in nationals. I’m not saying woodpeckers can’t get through wbc, but I’ve never heard of it.

Don't spend too much on wraps, just get some builder's DPM (damp proof membrane) plastic sheeting and cut to size. You can get it from builder's mechants or ebay, or perhaps acquire some offcuts from your local builder.

We have green woodpeckers here which will attack hives in the winter. I usually put the wraps on in November and remove in March. We also have badgers but so far they haven't assaulted our hives, all on stands.
I agree with Chris, I use the material below, it's cheap and extremely tough. I use the 225mm for standard nationals, 300mm for 14x12's, the 450mm for double broods and even as waterproofing the roofs of my nuc boxes.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/capital-valley-plastics-ltd-damp-proof-course-black-30m-x-225mm/85921
You can get it fro toolstaion as well.

Attachments

• IMG_2084.JPG
    IMG_2084.JPG
    658.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1448.JPG
    IMG_1448.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 22
We have had frozen ground for weeks until yesterday so I half expected to have a woodpecker problem this month (as in some previous years) as they only attack beehives when they can't get through the frozen surface of pastures for several days to reach the yellow ant nests. However not a sign of any damage yet this year. Maybe the resident green woodpeckers in the area have died out and their young not learnt to have a go at beehives yet.

But once they get the idea they can make a large hole in a very short time, especially in a poly hive!

Hi all

I've been lucky enough to be offered a new apiary site. It's right on the edge of an ancient woodland and will be the first site I've had in such a location.

My question is about woodpecker damage. Given that I don't yet have anything built to protect hives I was wondering.at what point of the year do you guys think its safe to move colonies up there?
I'm assuming that once the bees are flying strongly wood peckers find themselves easier meals or can they go for a hive at any time?

Also any other wildlife I have to worry about. Have seen a well used path presumably fox or badger running through the site as well.

New site in picture below.

Is that a sty on the right of the picture? is it on a public right of way? Why not stick a trail cam up and see what is leaving the tracks? Whatever it/they are its a well worn track or two

Is that a sty on the right of the picture? is it on a public right of way? Why not stick a trail cam up and see what is leaving the tracks? Whatever it/they are its a well worn track or two
Hi there.
It's not a public right of way. It's set between the boundary of an outdoor centers land and one of their field boundaries. According to the manager nobody ever walks along this section which is evident by the number of low branches and bushes we had to get past to get to this spot.
So the tracks are definitely wildlife.

Went up today to drop some pallets off and talk to the site owner about our plans.

Took the opportunity to get a pic of the view from the site. Much prettier than my home apiary. 😁

Attachments

• IMG-20210220-WA0002.jpeg
    IMG-20210220-WA0002.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG-20210220-WA0004.jpeg
    IMG-20210220-WA0004.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 25

Latest posts

Back