woodpecker attacting ferral swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
About three weeks ago i nearly caught a large prime swarm of dark black bees. until they decided to go elsewhere...she came down to my baited brood box, covered the front, almost walked in, then left for the woods

today i found the colony in the woods .it is 60ft up under the canopy of a large oak tree branch ..in the open

OK at 60ft plus it is far to high for a swarm catch, but it is under attack from a green wooodpecker...the woodpecker is pecking at the wild comb and which is dropping to the ground then woody is picking out the larvae and nurse bees

so do you think they would move, or will they bees stay with the brood 60ft up ,in the open

i was going to pack up my bait hive as the swarming season is almost over, or is it worth leaving it out till autumn , it case the ferral bees decide to move

What do you have to lose?

PH

PH, you were correct, first shower of rain on sunday here in SE for a long time...next morning scouts around

looked out the bathroom window this morning at 10.00 to see a swarm walk in to my bait hive

the colony under a branch in the tree has gone, so woodpeck, wind, rain made them move to my nice bait hive think or its a caste from them

I have left my bait hive out, as PH says, nothing to lose. I have a weak colony that could do with some help. Not expecting or intending any swarm caught now to build and yield before winter but I am hoping to combine if I catch one.

About three weeks ago i nearly caught a large prime swarm of dark black bees. until they decided to go elsewhere...she came down to my baited brood box, covered the front, almost walked in, then left for the woods

i was going to pack up my bait hive as the swarming season is almost over, or is it worth leaving it out till autumn , it case the ferral bees decide to move

Had a similar thing over the weekend.
Saturday lots of scout bees interested in an empty nuc and bait hive with swarm lure. 50 -60 lovely black bees going in and out, ever the optimist I thought they would soon be mine.

Sunday morning still bees (100+) checking it out and midday a swarm in nearby tree 30-40' up. Too high for a coward like me to clamber up to

I then started to panic thinking that they were mine and had a quick check through hives, luckily mine were all intact and queen right.

Monday, nothing all gone

Disappointment and despair set in, just hope they found a nice secure and warm hive nearby..

I have left my bait hive out, as PH says, nothing to lose. I have a weak colony that could do with some help. Not expecting or intending any swarm caught now to build and yield before winter but I am hoping to combine if I catch one.

They might not yield but sure as dammit you could build them up to survive winter ok and then think about re-Queening next year if they have traits that you don't like....

They might not yield but sure as dammit you could build them up to survive winter ok and then think about re-Queening next year if they have traits that you don't like....

You are right of course, a swarm now could be comfortably built up to winter over but I had a target of 4 strong colonies for wintering so combining fits my strategy for this year (I only have gear for 5 hives at the mo). If I get a take I was going to let them draw some 14x12s and then assess the queen before deciding which queen to keep when combining. I am pushing my luck I suspect. I have had 4 takes on my bait hive this year, 3 in very quick sucession and all in the same location. Not sure where the origins of the swarms have been but a 5th take will be suprising if it does happen!

Latest posts

Back