Woodland site?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oakbear

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi folks,

I've just been offered a site in my friend's wood for my bees.
It's primarily oak, sycamore and ash, with a smattering of hawthorn and elder.

I've not know anyone who keeps bees in a wood.
What are the pros and cons?
It's not huge so they should have plenty of other options for nectar and pollen in their range....

Thanks!

Try it and see.

I was given a master class in over wintering sites by a large scle beefarmer and one of his was deep in a pine wood which it seemed broke every rule going. However his overwintering record there was impressive.

Try it for yourself IF you can afford to take a hit.

PH

My site is right on the edge of a Copse (which is also used for pheasent rearing as it happens). You could be on to a very good thing.

A supportive friend / landowner = priceless
forage within a 2 mile radius of the site?
habitation in the vicinity?
From which direction is the prevailing wind?
Which way is southern aspect?
Where is the access route?
In what locations are the hives visible to passers by?
How thick is the canopy?
Water source location?

An example
My hives are south facing, under an oak tree canopy, mixed light mixed trees behind. They get full early morning sun to warm them yet also receive shade at the height of the day. The prevailing wind is north west and so the copse itself gives natural wind and bad weather protection. River 200m away. No footpaths near and because of a slight rise in the ground to the south they are obscured from the nearest road (circa 700m away). Unfortunately it's a 500m trek from a parking space - a pain when it comes to heavy movements / harvest but hey!

I have 6 colonies in my wood in a clearing with no hives under the tree canopy. The bees do not mind the noise of steady rain on their roof but get upset by the heavy irregular drips from trees. They all do very well.

As far as species go - oak poor, Sycamore v good, Hawthorne and Elder good but yield can be erratic. Give it a try would be my advice.

Latest posts

Back