Wood Preserver

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Busy Bee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I went to buy Cuprinol for my new Bee Hive, so I went to B&Q and wa la 20 different products. Does any one know the exact product Cuprinol has that I can put on my new hive.

I took "Wood Preserver - Clear" but the guy in B&Q said I can return no problem or exchange.

Your thoughts please.

Thank You

Busy Bee

That is what I put on mine and a few coats too.

I have painted the inside too (on advice), which I am told is unwise, but you can't follow everyone's advice!

Try your local Wilinsons if you have one, they are the cheapest, plus last year I bought a life times supply when they had in on sale for somthing like BOGOF!

I am sat here laughing at the post above,that saying will always tickle me.

I too looked at the Wilkinson's wood coat, but how do you know if it is water based? My guess is if you can wash the brushes in water it is water based, but I am not absolutely sure. Some of the wood preservers also contain fungicide, which I would have thought is harmful to bees.

Can anyone recommend a range that is definitely safe to use? Further, even if it is safe how long should the hive ventilate before bees can use it? I did read somewhere that some where that the hive should be left for 6 weeks before use.

Fenbee, my sugestion Of wilcos was simpley for the price NOT their brand. I bought the "offical" "bee safe" cuprinol clear wood preseve.

This version of Cuprinol is the only clear insecticide free product in their range. It gives deep penetrating protection to sound wood against all types of rot, decay and woodworm. Apply only to the external surfaces of your hive. One litre will cover 8 square meters with two coats, enough therefore for approximately five hives.

Its around £10 a litre,and available from Thornes,I would of thought B+Q etc do it as well.

ahardl10.jpg

Yes Thats the one, but its got a different cover now. Mmmmmm £8.68 I think B&Q.

Busy Bee

This version of Cuprinol is the only clear insecticide free product in their range. It gives deep penetrating protection to sound wood against all types of rot, decay and woodworm. Apply only to the external surfaces of your hive. One litre will cover 8 square meters with two coats, enough therefore for approximately five hives.

Its around ?10 a litre,and available from Thornes,I would of thought B+Q etc do it as well.

ahardl10.jpg

I have a feeling that the formula has changed and it may no longer be so. I have emailed cuprinol to ask, so i will report back.

I think some one on here has allready emailed them this year and posted their reply on this forum. I am 99% sure they stated that it was OK.

I will do a quick search

I guess you have not heard anything from Cuprinol yet Marcos?

I need to use a bee friendly wood preserver and I found this range of external wood glazes. made from natural produces and is suposed to be a weather proof, water resistant, elastic glaze. See this link
http://www.just-green.com/c/752/External-Wood-Finishes-Glazes.html

So does anyone have an opinion on this range?

Thanks jimbeekeeper, I found the link after I made my post, I must check the number of page to each thread in future!

I guess you have not heard anything from Cuprinol yet Marcos?

I need to use a bee friendly wood preserver and I found this range of external wood glazes. made from natural produces and is suposed to be a weather proof, water resistant, elastic glaze. See this link
http://www.just-green.com/c/752/External-Wood-Finishes-Glazes.html
So does anyone have an opinion on this range?

I got an answer back this morning:

Dear Mr Cross,

Thank you for your email.

Yes it does, being a preserver it will require this.

I hope this information is useful. If you have any queries or need any further assistance please contact me at the Technical Advice Centre on 0870 444 1111.
To my question:

could you tell me whether your clear wood preserver contains an insectacide?

I probably should have been more explicit and asked about bees, but I forgot all about it when the other post was pointed out in the forum. It may be worth checking the date on the other thread, but I dont think that it was that old, and I suggest that the answer would be that it does contain an insectacide, but is not harmful to bees.

I think that it's severe bee fever causing inattention. Everyone else saw your post originally and have noted it well.

Jim, I am thinking about painting an 18mm ply built hive with raw linseed oil. I seem to recollect reading that Dave Cushman mentioned the bees happily wading through it, but am I correct in assuming that a preservative should be used first, as linseed oit will support mould growth?

I promise to read your reply - just in case you wondered! :svengo:

Latest posts

Back