wood preserver on hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beeak

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
totally novice question
I have cedar hives and have not put preserver on them.

Do they really need it?

What is best?

When it the best time to do it?

You don't need any on cedar

2 of mine are painted (Dulux) and 2 aren't.
Unpainted cedar will go grey after its weathered - a bit like fence panels.
Depends how smart you want your apiary?
:)

I prepare mine with 2 coats of (boiled) linseed oil, with some beeswax melted in it. For added effect, I've steeped some alkanet root in it.

It's easy to apply, as long as its above 15 degrees C.

I'm sure there are other good alternatives but by this method it comes out a lovely colour, looks very smart, showing the grain and the variety of cedar wood to its best effect.

Dusty.

I've used raw linseed on mine - does turn it a lovely colour :)

I've just recovered a hive floor that I had treated with boiled linseed oil, it now has a black mouldy appearance to it....

Linseed oil and wax.
Rapeseed oil and wax.
Rapeseed oil and candle wax.
Cuprinol Garden Shades
Fence Paint - wax and water based.
Sandtex masonry paint

I use them all in various degrees.

Old engine oil and creosote substitute - on stand legs exposed to earth

I prepare mine with 2 coats of (boiled) linseed oil, with some beeswax melted in it. For added effect, I've steeped some alkanet root in it.

It's easy to apply, as long as its above 15 degrees C.

I'm sure there are other good alternatives but by this method it comes out a lovely colour, looks very smart, showing the grain and the variety of cedar wood to its best effect.

Dusty.

...eye of newt, toe of frog, wool of bat...incidentally, how's the witchcraft coming along, Dusty?
:p

cuprinol clear on my hives, ronseal fencecoat on the nuc's

Is it OK to do it while the bees are in residence?

Further to the last question, I've heard Cuprinol clear is no longer recommended for hives as they've changed the recipie, but is it really that bad so long as it's used externally and has dried well before bees live there?

I've used raw linseed oil for two years now and found that it can cause a bit of a fungal bloom in storage, which I'm not keen on, so would like some alternatives!

Further to the last question, I've heard Cuprinol clear is no longer recommended for hives as they've changed the recipie, but is it really that bad so long as it's used externally and has dried well before bees live there?
My understanding is that the recipe hasn't changed much and the reason it's no long specifically recommended is just that they haven't jumped through the bureaucrat hoops to get the new product certified.

My understanding is that the recipe hasn't changed much and the reason it's no long specifically recommended is just that they haven't jumped through the bureaucrat hoops to get the new product certified.

:rolleyes: as with so many beekeeping products it seems

My understanding is that the {Cuprinol Clear} recipe hasn't changed much and the reason it's no long specifically recommended is just that they haven't jumped through the bureaucrat hoops to get the new product certified.

I believe MuswellMetro has posted to exactly that effect - having checked with the manufacturer's tech support people.

"Second' cedar (with knots) might last longer if treated/painted.

But mainly, I think its about the visual effect that pleases you most.

/ and I wouldn't paint with bees in residence. But some surely have ...

I like Cuprinol garden shades - blue. The bees have been fine with it and I hope the colour makes my equipment a bit more individual and so hopefully less stealable.

Dusty

I've steeped some alkanet root in it. It's easy to apply, as long as its above 15 degrees C.

I find it works better with adding 5ml Lemon grass oil / litre

I like Cuprinol garden shades - blue. The bees have been fine with it and I hope the colour makes my equipment a bit more individual and so hopefully less stealable.

I too use the Cuprinol Garden Shades with no ill effects, good stuff it is too IMO

Garden shades works great 2 coats and a few weeks in the open to air.
I have used the clear 5 year protection but very expensive compared to garden shades

Latest posts

Back