Wood for hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

666bees

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 swarms, 1 14x12 nuc, national nuc
Is Douglas Fir any good for making hives out off?

Yes with a bit of treatment it should be fine,not as good as cedar,and more weight,but much better than ordinary pine,and semi durable. Larch is also quite good,but tends to twist quite a bit if not carefully kiln dried....air dried its fine.

Thanks Hivemaker, still checking out all the options before I start.

What about Oak HM. I know weight is an issue but I want WBC's and so oak for the lifts and pine/ply/cedar whatever comes my way for the guts of the hive. Oak will be easy to get here a lovelly chap called anton croaker.

Oak would definately be substantial,not sure how well it would hold up against splitting ect if used in large thin boards for lifts though.....try some.
I know Anton.....sure he will soon sort you out some timber,or his sawyer.

Thanks HM. Devon woodturning if it's still going used to have a nice set up too. Got some beautiful Holly (my favourite wood) from there before. My brother uses Anton more though. he is famous for his green oak isn't he. I kind of want to make my own but the more I hear from other beeks it's almost not worth picking up your tools yourself. Although I do like the idea of making my own.

Latest posts

Back