wont be using glass cb anymore....

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark s

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
16 + 3nuc's
hi all
on my last inspection 2 weeks ago,i introduced a glass cb. after my inspection 2 day ive decided on not using it anymore...:svengo::svengo: my little darlings have made brace comb all over the top of the frames to the glass cb,its made todays inspection a knightmare of a job. so the old cb has now been put back on. lol bless em.......:):)

all to do with the bee space - obviously too much for them !

All you need to do is scrape off with a paint scraper or similar.

They are good to just look see how the bees are without opening the hive up !!

sadly they had filled it with honey so when i scraped it off it was a bit messy and the bees were feeding of it as well;)

Ours have done the same. However, I also had a small eke in there because there was a tray of Apiguard in. What should I now do with the comb. Too much wax to just eat it... Is there any simple way of splitting the honey from the wax?

Cheers
Dave

To eat the honey ?
I would not if you have been using Apiguard,

If you want to harvest the wax you can wash it in a cloth you use to filter your harvest with.

all to do with the bee space - obviously too much for them !

There are very few manufacturers of equipment that understand bee space, if they did then the following complete abortions wouldn't have made it onto the market:

'harmless queen excluders' that are nothing of the sort, having zero bee space and when framed lack stiffness and so sag in the middle and get stuck to the top bars with propolis

Punched sheet metal queen excluders that glue themselves with propolis to the top bars

Or wooden crown boards with 6mm thick borders so that they constantly have brace comb buildup

Or polycarbonate crown boards that have a huge 50mm wide frame that gets propolised to the top bars

Or ashforth feeders with a 6mm 'bee space'

Or miller feeders with anything from 0mm to 8mm to 16mm 'bee space'

The list sadly goes on and on.

It is normal that bees make burr between inner cover and frames when the box is full of honey.
Professional use plastic sheet between cover and frames.

6 mm gap is too small. If you have queen there, it will be squeezed. Frame wood "lives" too and it needs space to twist. In Finland we use 10 mm.

When you pile boxes the lower frame bar may twist and bees are squeezed there.

Glass is the last thing which you ought to use in the hive. It is dangerous when it get broken.
So, professionals use plastic to hinder the glueing inner cover with burr.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back