Wondrous Wales C4

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happened on Wondrous Wales - new programme on Wales on C4 tonight 12.02.22, and Black Mountain Honey is featured on it

Nice to see a bit of proper beekeeping going on
No - it's not Black mountain Honey, it's Gwenyn Gruffudd and yes, Griff was on the Black Mountain which is actually on the other side of Wales to where Black Mountain Honey's outfit is.
The castle featured at the beginning is where one of my apiaries is (Carreg Cennen Castle), the sheep farmer Gary Williams is also on the Black Mountain, just over the mountain from where I am and only a stone's throw from the castle as well. Gary's farm BlaenCennen is on the North side of the heather moor behind me, spent a lot of time hunting and shooting on his farm

Last edited:
Is there more than one Black Mountain, or is it a term that covers a large area? I feel sure that there was a local area referred to as the Black Mountain or Black Mountains (possibly more commonly signposted as Mynydd Du) where I grew up around the Abergavenny/Gilwern/Crickhowell area, but if you're in Carmarthenshire then you're some way west of that.

Of course it's entirely possible that forty-plus year old memories are just confused.

James

Come to think of it, I have some vague association in my head between the Grwyne Fawr and Grwyne Fechan and the Black Mountain. Some of the time I lived in Wales was in Glangrwyney, which has at least one of them running through it.

James

Black Mountains ... Abergavenny.

Oh, it's all too confusing for us forriners. Not that I really count myself as forrin. I might be a Cockney who lives in the south west of England, but I'll support the Welsh rugby team no matter how much it hurts (not that it ever hurt much in the mid 1970s) and I reckon that's good enough to qualify :) Both my brothers were born in Wales. I can't help if it I was three years premature :D

James

No, you were quite right with regards the area of the Black Mountains (plural) as opposed to the Black Mountain (singular)

The black mountain (Y Mynydd Du)is a range of peaks at the Westernmost edge of the Brecon Beacons consisting on the Carmarthenshire fans and edging over the border into Brecknockshire, stretching from Amanford (at the end of my valley) to Sennybridge it was mentioned way back in the dark ages and my spot featured in the Mabinogi, specifically in Arthur's hunt for the legendary boar the Twrch Trwyth, my village's name Glanaman is derived from the old name/term Clun Amanw (yBanw) which means pastures of the boars,also further towards the Brecknock boundary, the legend of the lady of the lake and the Physicians of Myddfai (where Prince Carlo now has a residence, Llwyn Wermwd) the area was also a favoured hunting ground of my ancestors the Rulers of Deheubarth so with the later influence of the Norman squatters was sometimes known as the Black Forest.
The black mountains (Y Mynyddoedd Duon) however are a group of hills spread across parts of Powys and Monmouthshire in southeast Wales, and extending across the England–Wales border into Herefordshire.
But to confuse you further there is the Black Hill In Herefordshire which is also known as Mynydd Du

The black mountain (Y Mynydd Du)is a range of peaks at the Westernmost edge of the Brecon Beacons consisting on the Carmarthenshire fans and edging over the border into Brecknockshire, stretching from Amanford (at the end of my valley) to Sennybridge it was mentioned way back in the dark ages and my spot featured in the Mabinogi, specifically in Arthur's hunt for the legendary boar the Twrch Trwyth, my village's name Glanaman is derived from the old name/term Clun Amanw (yBanw) which means pastures of the boars,also further towards the Brecknock boundary, the legend of the lady of the lake and the Physicians of Myddfai (where Prince Carlo now has a residence, Llwyn Wermwd) the area was also a favoured hunting ground of my ancestors the Rulers of Deheubarth so with the later influence of the Norman squatters was sometimes known as the Black Forest.
The black mountains (Y Mynyddoedd Duon) however are a group of hills spread across parts of Powys and Monmouthshire in southeast Wales, and extending across the England–Wales border into Herefordshire.
But to confuse you further there is the Black Hill In Herefordshire which is also known as Mynydd Du
All of which are unrelated to Black Mountain Honey, BMH on here and of ewe tewb fame

There is a Black Mountain on the outskirts of Treuddyn, nr Mold, North Wales.
But mountain is a very Liberal description as its more of a pimple in comparison to the south wales range.
Mynydd Du would be correct name, and at 379 meters is correctly named a mountain?
I lived in the surrounding area for most of my life and I used to have hives in the area but not worth while now as the area is swamped by incomers & hives were being vandalised

Last edited:
No - it's not Black mountain Honey, it's Gwenyn Gruffudd and yes, Griff was on the Black Mountain which is actually on the other side of Wales to where Black Mountain Honey's outfit is.
The castle featured at the beginning is where one of my apiaries is (Carreg Cennen Castle), the sheep farmer Gary Davies is also on the Black Mountain, just over the mountain from where I am and only a stone's throw from the castle as well. Gary's farm BlaenCennen is on the North side of the heather moor behind me, spent a lot of time hunting and shooting on his farm
Making me very jealous now, I am only two minutes from you on Llandeilo road and very much miss the shooting I used to do in England, not managed to find any shooting here despite moving 16 years ago. I was up at the castle and saw a lot of woodies around a few months ago, very desparate to go and get the hide, decoys and 12g out like I used too.

They had a different honey supplier when I went in the cafe?

Latest posts

Back