Grub 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
3 14x12
Everyone has been really helpful and thanks for the PM's as well:cheers2:

Next question which bee suit or jacket if you had a wish list what would you have and why ?.

Whats the best colour (White) ?

Grub:)

grizzly 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
Hi Grub

I have a jacket on my wishlist, shown below, i want to try this one simply because of the ventilation it provides, i have worn a number of types and i have found them all to be swealtering, nothing more irritating when working bees than sweat running off your nose. (yes i now wear a headband).
As for colour - Whatever floats your boat, just avoid blacks.

Last edited:

oliver90owner 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
'Rolls Royce or Ford' was one phrase used in days past.

Not tried many. Not even seen some. I have just used a couple of jackets from Thorne which have proved perfectly adequate, but another couple I purchased last year (£25 ea. delivered) were, shall we say, not bad but less than adequate for really shirty bees. Nothing that cannot be fixed by my lady and her sewing machine......

I would say, that within reason, you pays your money and you gets what you pay for.

Value for money or sheer indulgence. Somewhat different ideals.

One day I might get a BJ Sherriff special, or maybe just stick with the run of the mill. It is a practical piece of kit and I am only a hobby beekeeper. The commercial people are likely the best source of information for all round efficiency/full life cost

Obviously a full suit should prove better than a jacket, but my trousers are simply padded ski-trousers - totally bee-proof still after about 8 years, but determined bees can beat the elastic in the jacket.

Colour? - nothing wrong with white. Traditional and practical. I would consider a less obvious colour if I were in an area where people notice and complain, or where security may be compromised.

Will I change? probably not, as I go for practicality rather than indulgence.

Regards, RAB

Grub 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
3 14x12
Hi Grub

I have a jacket on my wishlist, shown below, i want to try this one simply because of the ventilation it provides, i have worn a number of types and i have found them all to be swealtering, nothing more irritating when working bees than sweat running off your nose. (yes i now wear a headband).
As for colour - Whatever floats your boat, just avoid blacks.

Found the site £108 not forgetting the Astronaut Hood :hat: now that would impress at the Society meetings:)

Grub

WoodenBeam 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
commercial
Number of Hives
More than a few
Very happy with my BBWear full suit. My little helper has a suit from the auction site which was good value however the veil doesn't detach which is one thing I would recommend.

admin 

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I also have a BBwear full suite(olive,nylon),very happy with it and would buy again..

Black Comb 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
Number of Hives
10+
Ditto except mine's polycotton (sorry to nitpick Admin)

Last edited:

jezd 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
Number of Hives
I also have a BBwear full suite(olive,nylon),very happy with it and would buy again..
interesting repair service too.

admin 

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
interesting repair service too.
I agree Jezd!

Mine is only the one piece,not the 3 piece :blush5:
Admin goes off to learn to spell suit and not suite..

The Hyde Ranger 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hello Grub, I just recieved my new suit from the vectis sale and I'm very pleased with it, it's white poly-cotton has a detatatchable fencing style veil, the quallity seems to be good, it only cost £35.00 and th p&p was free at that price it is unbeatable value, well worth the gamble and You could always up-grade at a later date, I ordered a size larger than I needed (xl) and it fits great with an extra jumper on but dosn't drowned me ( I had fears of looking like a witchity grub before it arrived but this was not the case, phew ! ) all I need now are some bees and I'm good to go. Regards Nigel

The Hyde Ranger 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hello Grub, I just recieved my new suit from the vectis sale and I'm very pleased with it, it's white poly-cotton has a detatatchable fencing style veil, the quallity seems to be good, it only cost £35.00 and th p&p was free at that price it is unbeatable value, well worth the gamble and You could always up-grade at a later date, I ordered a size larger than I needed (xl) and it fits great with an extra jumper on but dosn't drowned me ( I had fears of looking like a witchity grub before it arrived but this was not the case, phew ! ) all I need now are some bees and I'm good to go. Regards Nigel
P.S there was also a pair of leather gloves included with that as-well, I realy can't fault it

Latest posts