Wiring Frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Insy

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Only I know :D :D
Hello,

Can't be bothered to go into details as not in best of moods.

Can you wire frames without brass/metal eyelets in the pre drilled holes?

How much will it effect life expectancy?

Thanks

Last edited:
What an odd way to start a thread, I feel like saying....I'm not going to reply cos I'm in a worse mood than you.....but I don't know the answer anyway!!!!
Feeling better yet?

Lol yes i suppose didn't want to go into the subject on why i want to know, my apologies for coming across rude.

Just need to know whether you need eyelets in place to prevent damage, or if it doesn't make much difference.

I've always used national which are pre wired was foundation so never used eyelets.

Yes you can but the wire isn't likely to remain tensioned for long.

The eyelets stop the wire cutting into the wood when its tensioned.

Thanks looks like i now have to go order eyelets :banghead:

yes you need something to stop the wire cutting into the wood and losing tension. I use staples - quicker and cheaper.

Can you wire frames without brass/metal eyelets in the pre drilled holes?

Use some staples alongside the hole in the frame side bar to prevent the wire cutting into the timber.

Thanks for the good tip guys, so just place staple over the pre drilled hole so the wire can rub on that rather than timber.

Nothing better than learning ways round things which could ideally make it just as good and cheaper.

Much appreciated.

Chris B and Hivemaker both trying to make out they have wired one or two frames over the years....

How many is it boy's,one hundred two hundred ?

Most videos I've watched wire from side bar to side bar, is there any difference between side by to side bar or top bar to bottom bar?

Or is it just preference?

I have to admit tho these frames feel rather chunky and solid compared to the nationals I've used.

Thanks

hi insy
use brood frames for honey production saves different size frames
wire 1" from left side vertical
wire 1" from right side vertical
wire 1" from bottom horizontal
wire 1" from top horizontal
when full of honey cut close to wire leaving 1" of coomb all round give back to bees they will rebuild again for winter

Yes that's the plan Yeogi ill be using lang deep for brood + honey, means more bulk frames later of same frame and easier to interchange stores/brood between hives when i get more.

The frames i been sent have many pre drilled holes along top and bottom bar none on the side bars, should i use the current pre drilled holes? or drilled my own on side bars and use them?

Chris B and Hivemaker both trying to make out they have wired one or two frames over the years....

How many is it boy's,one hundred two hundred ?

Much less. I get the kids to do it for me. How did you know?

if there in the right place for you then use them, if not make you own its, easier if you only have a few hives and don't want all the extraction kit just crush and strain and make your own candles as well

Most videos I've watched wire from side bar to side bar, is there any difference between side by to side bar or top bar to bottom bar?

Or is it just preference?

I have to admit tho these frames feel rather chunky and solid compared to the nationals I've used.

Thanks

This is how we wire our 14 x 12 frames.

Well turns out this idiot ordered wired foundation for wire frames, at least this problem was my own personal mistake so i cannot blame no one but myself haha.

Latest posts

Back